Thursday, September 02, 2004

We left for The Big City before breakfast. It took all kinds of manuvering to get all the stuff that #1 son thought he'd need at college all packed into our car (a huge gas guzzling SUV). Word to the wise: Get out your old Tetris game and practice. HTP is pretty good at loading a car (I'm better but why should I tell him?) so I just opened and closed the door as #1 son brought load after load after load after load of stuff up the stairs from the basement and out to the car.

Three hours later, we arrived at the college campus. This was supposed to be EARLY move-in. I've never seen so many kids and so much luggage and so many cars and so few places to park. HTP and I both went to college at this campus and we both lived in dorms at this campus. We had never seen this much madness. I'm glad we won't be there for REGULAR move-in this Saturday. I don't even plan to think about it.

There was a line of kids trying to get their room keys. There was a line of kids hoping to get a cart to help with the transfer of all the multitude of worldly goods that these kids think they NEED up to their miniscule rooms. When did these rooms shrink? I didn't go up to see #1 son's room but HTP assured me that the room was a lot smaller then he remembered and the hallways were barely passable with the carts of stuff these kids think they need. I must say that I was rather amused as I watched some stuff come back to be piled back into parents' cars. Apparently some stuff just won't fit. I saw a 7' couch being carried by and I just smiled. I don't know what happened to the recliner that was waiting to be toted upstairs. WE didn't have to bring any of #1 son's stuff back home with us but this may come to pass next weekend after #1 son and his room-mate have time to assess things. #1 son's room-mate doesn't move in until Saturday....or Sunday. HTP and son were able to bring all #1 son's stuff up to his room using a cart and a dolley that we brought from home (we did bring the dolley home with us but that was planned.)

It was exciting to see all the energy and activity that I observed as all these kids prepare for a new stage in their lives. I told #1 son that I envy him. He has so many experiences to look forward to and friends to make. I remember fondly my years at college. I met some of my best friends there. One of those best friends introduced me to my husband, HTP. My son took her daughter to prom. My room-mate is still one of my best friends. I look forward to visiting with her this fall on my way back to Arizona. I'm hoping that we can get together again this year for another Vegas Gal weekend.

After making sure the #1 son was "settled" properly, HTP and I ran out of steam. We drove back to The Lake, picked up our dogs from my folks' place, and collapsed. I only seem to have enough energy to blog and watch the Republican Convention. I want to watch George W. Bush's speech tonight. I hope I can keep my eyes open long enough.

Murphyism of the Day

No matter how well you think you remember something, facts are eager to slap you in the face with the reality that your recollections are never accurate.

No comments: