Tuesday, February 08, 2005

Word of the Day

Cartilage: The aftermath of a terrible accident

Laundry Day. Laundry is such an interesting subject. Not. At least I don't have to take the clothes down to the river and pound them on the rocks. I don't have to drag out a kettle, set it over the firepit and boil my clothes. I don't have to use a scrub board or a wringer. I've never really had to do this except when I worked as a historical interpreter at Fort Snelling. We scrubbed the white uniforms in a large wooden tub with scrub brushes and lye soap and laid them out on the grass to dry and whiten. I spent the entire summer with red, peeling hands and short, short fingernails. I'd hang out some of my clothes on a clothes line if I could. I love the smell of sheets when I hang them out on a line to dry in the sun but our HOA won't let me have a clothes line. At least I can hang them up to dry in Wisconsin. No HOA.

I don't have to iron anything...my choice. I have friends who iron their underwear. OK. That's an exaggeration. I think. Maybe not. I don't like to iron and avoid it at all costs. I know how to iron. I just don't like it. If HTP needs a white dress shirt, I have to go out with him when he buys it. He always heads right to the 100% cotton shirts. There are wrinkle-resistant dress shirts but you have to hunt for them. They are invariably more expensive but they pay for themselves everytime you launder them and don't have to iron them. Time is money. I don't buy 100% cotton clothes unless we're talking about blue jeans or cotton knit. I don't iron jeans and I don't iron cotton knit shirts. Some people do. These are the same people who iron underwear, towels, and sheets. Not me. I've seen episodes of Martha Stewart where she talks you through ironing sheets and tablecloths. Martha is in jail now. I'm no Martha Stewart. I'm not in jail either.

Murphyism of the Day

Jilly's Law

The worse the haircut, the slower it grows out.

No comments: