Saturday, February 26, 2005

Word of the Day

Nerb: It's not a noun or an adjective, but something in the middle.

I have to undecorate my house this weekend. I've got a crew coming in to refloat my ceilings on Monday and Tuesday. I was told that I have to pack away all my breakables. Argh! I have a lot of breakables. This is not going to be fun. I've been assured that these guys won't mess up my house. We'll see. They told me that they'd send out a cleaning crew if I'm not happy after the painters finish up. The thing about taking down all the breakables is that I'll have to put them all back. A two-part operation. Taking them down is only half the job.

The doorbell rang this morning. There stood a representative from my builder. He brought me a whole package of brand-new batteries for my smoke detectors, two new filters for my air return and a flat of annual flowers to plant in my yard. All this to thank me for buying a house from them. Wow! Thank you! No...I mean it. I'm not being sarcastic. As builders go, these guys have been really nice and helpful. I suppose I'll have to get busy and plant these flowers. I was going to hold off on flower planting until next fall. I couldn't actually justify buying annual plants that we'd only have a couple of months yet to enjoy. But here I have some. Gifted to me. I can't just let them die. I now have petunias, lobelia, pansy, and some unknown variety of flower to plant. I think the unknown might be snapdragons but I won't know until they blossom and I might have already returned to Wisconsin before that'll happen. At least I'll be able to enjoy the flowers for as long as we remain here in Arizona.

There's a block party scheduled for this afternoon. I'm supposed to bring something to share. HTP doesn't want to go but I think we should. We haven't attended any of the neighborhood gatherings. I'm sure we'll all be complaining about all the rain we've received and the weeds. I'll complain about having to have my ceilings re-floated. I wonder if anyone else has had problems. And then, we'll all be exclaiming about the free flowers we got and the batteries and the airfilters. And then we can escape. How unsocial of us!

Murphyism of the Day

Humphries' Law of Bicycling

The shortest route has the steepest hills.

No comments: