Monday, February 28, 2005

Word of the Day

Nozone Layer: The name of the hole in the ozone layer.

Run Away! I've dealt with many workmen over the years. We've lived in and built many houses. I used to joke that we knew it was time to move because the windows needed to be cleaned. While HTP worked, I dealt with the workmen. I speak two languages and I speak workmen too. That's not a real language but sometimes it seems like it. One of things that one learns right away is that workmen, delivery men, and the like, love to ring your doorbell and then run away. You learn really fast that you have to move fast when that doorbell rings. You also need to make sure that your doorbell works because they rarely knock on the door...even though they will tell you that they bloodied their knuckles doing so. Be prepared. You had better not be doing anything at all when the doorbell rings. As a matter of fact, you should spend the entire morning peering out the window watching for the telltale workmen's van or truck. They usually come equipped with ladders and paint splotches. Even the plumbing trucks. But then again, sometimes they arrive in a rusted out Datsun. Upon spotting this van or truck, run to the front door and make sure your hand is hovering over the door handle. Don't wait for the peel of the doorbell to fade. Rip open that door and call them back. Yes, you should expect that in the nanosecond you delayed in opening that door, they will have attempted an escape. If they succeed in their escape, you will receive an exasperated phone call later in the day, complaining that you weren't home. If they're really serious about escaping, they won't even ring the doorbell. They'll just hang a "Sorry we missed you" sign on your door and run. If you'd been watching for them, they wouldn't get away with this little trick.

As I said, I've had years of experience in dealing with the workmen mentality. I knew that the workmen were coming today to refloat my ceilings. I prepared. HTP and I took down all known breakable objects last night. I got up early. And sure enough, earlier then even I was expecting, the doorbell rang. I dropped the silverware that I was in the process of putting away and ran the door. HTP was still in bed. I answered the door and called the workmen back. Yes, they were already halfway into their truck, ready to leave. As revenge for catching them, the workmen made HTP and me remove all the pictures from the walls and take all my houseplants (I have a ton of these but not as many as my Mom) to another room.

I suspect that today and tomorrow are going to be a bit trying, not to mention the day that yet another crew will be coming to paint the ceilings. HTP is hiding in his office with half our living room furniture. This is his first real experience with workmen since his retirement. I am hiding in the guest room, but I'm still popping up to check on things. You can't just abandon workmen to their own devices. HTP set up the laptop for me. The ceilings in the guestroom and the office are OK. I'm not even going to look at them because if I do, I might have to endure having those refloated.

I'll get up earlier tomorrow morning. Know thy enemy. I'll get up an hour earlier then the workmen got here this morning. Workmen will usually arrive earlier on their second day of work. Just to throw off your schedule.

Murphyism of the Day

Quigley's Law

A car and a truck approaching each other on an otherwise deserted road will meet a the narrow bridge.

No comments: