Monday, February 21, 2005

Word of the Day

Jocular vein: A humor-sensitive part of the body (near the funny-bone)

I often find myself stating the obvious. I hate doing laundry. I hate ironing. I hate dusting. I hate cleaning. I hate headaches. I hate being sick. I hate pain. I don't have a headache and I'm not sick...I'm just listing the sort of stuff I find myself saying that I need to stop saying. These are "Here's Your Sign" stupid things to say. I don't know many people who actually enjoy doing laundry. My friend who irons everything in her wardrobe, probably doesn't actually enjoy ironing. I'll give her the benefit of the doubt on this. She just likes to wear clothes that have been ironed. Even her jeans. Do you like to dust? Who does? It's just one of those things that have to be done. Like cleaning toilets or washing mirrors. Do I really need to state the obvious and tell everyone that I hate cleaning the bathrooms (even if it's just me talking to me...grumbling under my breath)? I suppose I could be some sort of masochist. I could enjoy pain. I'm not. I try to avoid pain at all costs. Going to the dentist or doctor becomes a exercise in self-control and discipline. I wonder about some people who tattoo and pierce themselves. I mean, when I got my tattoo, it wasn't really a pleasant experience that I'd care to repeat and repeat and repeat. I like my tattoo but I don't think I'll let anyone near me again with a needle gun that looks and sounds like a Dremel tool. So, I need to stop saying these stupid things but I still find myself tripping on my resolve. Especially on laundry days...and when I have to clean the top of the stove. I hate cleaning the kitchen. Oops! Does it count in my favor that I like to cook?

Murphyism of the Day

Athena's Rules of Driving Courtesy

If you allow someone to get in front of you, either:

A) the car in front will be the last one over the railroad crossing, and you will be stuck waiting for a long, slow-moving train; or

B) you both will have the same destination, and the other car will get the last parking space.

No comments: