Thursday, February 17, 2005

Word of the Day

Etopia: An internet utopia.

Another lazy day in Arizona. It seems like spring. It smells a bit like spring. I think all the rain that we've been getting contributes to this general feeling. It's not spring yet but it feels like it. It must be all the wildflowers growing in the nearby vacant fields. We're supposed to get more rain tonight or tomorrow. I'm amazed at how much rain we've been getting. The people we often call "They", are exclaiming about all the rain we've been getting. "They" actually are claiming that our 10 year drought may be (maybe, if we get a bit more rain) over? Usually, "They" say that the rain we get hasn't made a significant impact on the drought. A mere drop in the bucket, so to speak. But now? Dare we hope? "They" are usually so cautious and pessimistic. Just when some of the HOA's in the Valley of the Sun are talking about zero-scaping (ripping out grass and replacing it with gravel and desert plants), the rain returns. We live in a desert. I always felt planting grass was a bit stupid (after that first year)...at least vast amounts of grass. I do like grass. I like to look at it. I just don't like to maintain it. Lots of water. Lots of mowing. Oh well...I suppose the HOA's will continue on as they always have. I don't have to worry about it anymore.

I don't live in a grassed community anymore. I moved. Now all I have to worry about is making sure the weeds that keep sprouting in my gravel are taken care of. Killed. Ripped out by their roots or poisoned. Evil weeds. Wildflower weed seeds blown in from nearby vacant land. Some of them are kind of pretty but any plant growing where it shouldn't be growing is, by my definition, a weed. HTP sprayed the weeds today. And we all know what this means. It's going to rain so we'll have to spray again and then it'll rain again. And so on, and so on.

Murphyism of the Day

O'Brien's Principle (The $357.73 Theory)

Auditors always reject any expense account with a bottom line divisible by five or ten.

No comments: