Friday, February 25, 2005

Word of the Day

Meatwave: Cattle Stampede

It's another beautiful day in Arizona. My rain gauge is working. It's chased away all the rain. I asked my folks if they would like me to strap a rain gauge to their car. They're heading back home today. They declined the offer. If they run into rain on their way home, it won't be my fault. I offered.

I can't tell you what the current temperature is outside. Even though I replaced the batteries on my outdoor sensor, it's stopped sensing. I'm sensing that I need to buy a new thermometer. Maybe a nice, non-techie model, like my rain gauge. No batteries required. High-tech devices don't like me. I know that if it ever decides to rain again, my rain gauge will work. No batteries required. Just a long plastic tube. Of course, I'll have to bring it inside when we head to Wisconsin for the summer. Plastics and Arizona just don't get along. Plastics are no match for Arizona's dry summer heat. I'll have to pick out a nice, non-plastic, thermometer with as few moving parts as possible. Maybe one of those ceramic ones, shaped like a smiling sun. Too tacky? OK. I'll think on it. I'm sure I'll find something that will work better then this fancy, schmancy, wireless thermometer that is currently sitting on my desk, refusing to tell me the temperature that the remote sensor is recording outside. Yes. The sensor is working. It's 62°F. I went outside and checked. The outdoor sensor refuses to talk to the indoor monitor. Can't we all just get along?

Murphyism of the Day

Gray's Law For Buses

A bus that has refused to arrive will do so only when the would-be rider has walked to a point so close to the destination that it is no longer worthwhile to board the bus.

No comments: