Wednesday, February 23, 2005

Word of the Day

Lavitate: The art of using the bathroom.

My birthday present came. HTP bought me a rain gauge. I wanted one like I have in Wisconsin. I know that I live in a desert. We don't get much rain here. Usually. This winter we've gotten a lot of rain. That's why I wanted a rain gauge. My rain gauge was delivered yesterday. My father and I quickly removed it from its box and figured out the best place in the yard for its installation. The clouds were thick and threatening. The occasional rumble of thunder could be heard as we installed my new rain gauge next to one of my garden frogs. I quipped, "Let it rain, let it rain, let it rain." The clouds cleared up and we haven't received a drop of rain since the rain gauge installation. We're supposed to get rain tonight. I'm looking out at clear blue skies and sun right now. If I'd known that the installation of a rain gauge would stop the record rains that we've been having, I might have reconsidered my actions. Despite the fact that I'm getting tired of all this rain, I know that we really need it. Oh well. Maybe we'll get rain tonight.

I made prime rib last night for supper. A birthday supper for my youngest daughter. My smoke alarms went off. Repeatedly. The thing with these smoke alarms is that if one goes off, the rest of the smoke alarms in the house go off too...in sympathy. I didn't burn the prime rib. There wasn't any smoke in the house. The house wasn't on fire. My alarms went off anyway. They're really loud. I'm surprised the neighbors didn't call the fire department. After alarms went off for the fourth time, HTP got out a ladder and took down the offending smoke alarm. The one by my kitchen. I repeat. I did not burn anything. There was no smoke. The smell of my prime rib, cooking in the oven, was fabulous. Apparently the fire alarm objected. Maybe it was a vegetarian in a former life. This alarm didn't like it the last time I made prime rib either. I made salt-crusted oven baked potatoes, asparagus and a green salad with supper too. Not diet fare....but good.

Murphyism of the Day

Old Grey Frog's Addendum for Rain

No matter how much rain is predicted, if you install a rain gauge to measure said rain, it will not rain.

No comments: