Sunday, February 20, 2005

Word of the Day

Jeescake: Really bad cheesecake

So I've got swollen sexy lips again. I knew that I had to play for the first two services at church today. I was prepared for that. When I got to church, I found out that I also had to play for the third service. OK. I could do that. I thought it was just supposed to be a practice but it wasn't. I didn't even have the majority of the music for the third service. One of the pieces had six sharps. If you don't know music, that's kind of like being handed an article where you have to look up the meaning of every other word. In this case, the only note on the page that didn't have to be sharped was a B...and I had to stop myself from sharping that. At least I didn't have to play the second part. That music had the infamous double sharp. It was a C sharp...sharp. Which actually makes it a D natural. See what I mean? I had to grab a pencil and do some translation. But I didn't play too badly. I hope. No-one made any comments. But what could they say? This was church. I also had to squeeze in a quick practice between the second service and the third service for a duet I'm supposed to play on Wednesday. Lenten service. No time for more then a quick run through with the pianist and my partner before I ran to the third service and unknown territory. The music director trust me. Sometimes I just wish that she didn't trust me so much...at least when it comes to sight-reading.

Murphyism of the Day

Watson's Law

The reliability of machinery is inversely proportional to the number and significance of any persons watching it.

No comments: