Wednesday, November 02, 2005

Word of the Day

Frinter - The time between fall and winter.

Our Devil Dog Daughter is supposed to be heading our way. When I talked to her last night she said that she'd be leaving first thing in the morning. Anyway, she promised that she'd call as soon as she reached a stopping spot for the night. Colorado? Oklahoma? She hadn't decided on her route.

HTP and I spent the day doing errands. We've got one car so we try to get all this sort of stuff done in a logical fashion. Of course we had to check and see if one of our favorite Arizona restaurants was still in existence. Teakwoods. It was so we stopped there for lunch. They have a bucket of peanuts on each table for you to munch on while you wait. Shells get tossed on the floor.

After lunch, HTP had to stop at Lowe's to get some pipe goop for some fittings on our grill. I picked up a six-pack of Johnny Jump Ups....plants for my garden. I'll plant them tomorrow. I've decided that I really need to limit myself to one plant per visit to a nursery. I love buying plants. I'm not so fond of planting them.

After that, we had to stop off at two different places where they have concrete patio treatments so that your plain concrete patio is transformed into something like flagstone or brick or whatever. We're thinking about it. It doesn't cost anything to get an estimate.

Of course a day of shopping is never complete without a stop at Walmart. I bought some plates that I'd seen at the store in Wisconsin but didn't need at the home in Wisconsin but that would harmonize with our dishes here in Arizona. I'm glad that the inventory at Walmart is pretty much standard no matter where you happen to go. Anyway, for one reason or another our plates here in Arizona tend to break, and this without any kids in the house. I wish the dishes in Wisconsin would break...I'm not fond of those dishes. I figure that it's all part of a grand Murphy's Law thing. If you really love your dishes, they will break. If you hate your dishes you can throw them on the floor and stomp on them and they will never break. Oh well, I found some that look similar enough in color and shape to the ones that I love so that we can have company for dinner without dragging out the REALLY good dinnerware. I save that stuff for holidays. And the REALLY REALLY good dinnerware is all packed up and ready to be given to my grown kids whenever they're ready for it. While we were at Walmart, HTP talked me into buying some bowls and a couple for cups too. I guess he liked the dishes too or maybe it was because they didn't cost too much.

I bought some goldfish for the fountain. HTP just shakes his head when I seriously consult with the poor salesperson at Walmart about which six goldfish of the 28 cent plain ones from the huge tank of hundreds I want. I don't want them all to be alike. How would I be able to tell them apart?

I didn't buy that really cool snowglobe that they had on display. It was HUGE! Bigger than me. I want it. I want it. I collect snowglobes. No place to put it so...I didn't get it. Sigh. Oh well....

Next? Groceries. OOOOHHHH! The had an even bigger snowglobe on display at the grocery store. I didn't buy that one either.

We'd been "hunting" for five hours by this point. I'm ready to drop. The groceries are all put away. I walked the block and a half to get the mail...and back. And that's about all I can handle for one day's hunt. Good thing I don't do this on a daily basis. You'd be bored to tears.

Murphyism of the Day

Patton's Law

A good plan today is better than a perfect plan tomorrow.

No comments: