Thursday, November 03, 2005

Word of the Day

Frold - Freezing cold.

I've finally found a spot on our deck where I can sit with our laptop and receive a strong enough signal from our wireless router to get on the net. It's not ideal. I feel like my daughter who told me once that the only spot where her cell phone worked at Parris Island was the tiny little spot under the TV stand in the BMP barracks (no cell phones allowed during bootcamp, this was afterwards while she was recovering from a broken hip). Oh well...at least I can use the laptop outside and right now I'm sitting outside enjoying a slight breeze and the sound of the water cascading in our fountain. Right next to me on the patio floor is a dead black widow spider (red hourglass clearly visible) which reminds me that our Orkin guy came yesterday and I should probably get busy with a broom, cleaning up the dead bodies.

There are few things that bother me more than a ringing phone that no-one bothers to answer. For the last three hours, the phone in the vacant house across the block wall fence that stands between my house and said house, has been ringing and ringing and ringing, then a slight pause, and then a resumption of the endless ringing. Just when my ears perk up and I give a good listen..."Has it finally blessedly stopped?"....it starts ringing yet again. No-one lives there. No-one has ever lived there as far as I know. OK. I've been gone for six months so I can't be sure. Intellectually, I know that someone owns that house and someone actually felt it necessary to install a phone in that house. Why?! At this point every nerve in my body is quivering. I'm ready to jump a six-foot block wall, commit breaking and entering, just so I can answer that phone and yell at whoever is endlessly making that phone ring. SCREAM!!!!!!! This doesn't happen to me in Wisconsin. The only phone that rings near my house in Wisconsin is my own and I have no problems at all racing to answer it after the second ring. Who calls someone and lets it ring 50 times, non-stop and then repeats and repeats? Who does that sort of thing?! Justifiable homicide...I'm thinking, justifiable homicide. OMG! Now I'm getting a headache! Great! SCREAM!!!

Our Devil Dog Daughter called this morning. She was on the road heading south from Denver. She complained of hurricane force winds. I guess that they were closing schools near Denver. Just now we got another call because she wanted to know how far Las Vegas was from Denver. She was reading road signs that claimed that Las Vegas was only 70 miles away. We kindly explained to her that she was heading toward Las Vegas, true, but Las Vegas, New Mexico...not Las Vegas, Nevada. She was 125 miles from Santa Fe and making good time when she called. If she keeps this up, she just might get here in the wee hours of tomorrow morning. Gasp! HTP and I have to get busy. Gotta get that bathroom cleaned! Vacuum. Sweep up the dead bugs.

Goldfish Update

So far so good. I have six goldfish swimming in my fountain. One of the goldfish looks a bit sickly but I'll keep you posted.


Murphyism of the Day

Lieberman's Law

Everyone lies, but it doesn't matter if nobody is listening.

No comments: