Saturday, August 19, 2006

Word of the Day

Sertalicious - The feeling of intense pleasure that occurs after you fall backwards onto a comfortable bed.

I decided to hike the logging road. That wasn't the original plan but as I was walking back down our driveway I thought I'd go see where my brother-in-law put up his deer-stands. That didn't take long. He didn't go too far off our driveway. So...I thought I'd go see if there were any trees down blocking the logging road. And then...well...I figured that as long as I'd gone that far, I'd see how many trees were down over the logging road. Three.

The reason I went out in the first place was to pick berries. I mixed up some pie crust (needed to chill for 4 hours) and I figured that I'd go out and pick enough berries to make a blackberry pie. Mission accomplished. Only...well, my knee gave out by the time I'd hiked to my folks' place so they gave me a ride back to our place. I'd called HTP from my folks' place to let him know about my hike and that they'd be bringing me back. I got back and (cue the Twilight Zone music)...no-one is here. I know from my phone conversation with HTP that #1 son and his friend took the 4x4 Sidekick. When I asked where they'd gone, HTP didn't know. Now...HTP has vanished. Thankfully, they left the back deck door unlocked or I might be a bit miffed.

I've got the pies in the oven. I made one blackberry and one rhubarb. I still have to clean the rest of the berries. Maybe I'll make some more muffins....breakfast tomorrow.

We have to be over at my sister's place by 6 PM tonight. Plans have changed. The menu has changed. I guess we're having build your own taco salad. Apparently there's a football game. I hope HTP and the boys get back in time. I'm beginning to suspect that #1 son and his friend may have decided to take the Sidekick on the logging road. I wonder if HTP went to rescue them. I guess I may take a couple of Advil, wait to take the pies out of the oven, and then hike up there to check...or...maybe I'll see if #1 son has his cell phone on him. Calling might be easier.

*****

Update! Well, the boys hung the Sidekick up on a downed oak log that they didn't see was laying across the road until it was too late. The poor car was resting on top of the log, its rear wheels off the ground. It was well and truly stuck. By the time I hiked up there with ice water for them all, they'd managed to saw through the log on both sides. However, the car was still firmly lodged on top of the log. By the time 5:45 PM rolled around and the car was still stuck, I had #1 son call my sister to let her know that there was no way that we'd be able to come for supper tonight.

The boys and HTP finally managed to jack the car up, dig out under the log, and then drag the log out from under the car. It was a heavy log. We were all exhausted. Me from my earlier hike and then running back and forth to hand various tools to everyone. By this time it was 6:30 PM. Woohoo! The car was finally resting on terra firma...all four wheels. Word to the wise, don't try to drive over downed logs. I don't care if it says it's a 4x4....a tiny Suzuki Sidekick won't do it. Kind of reminded me of the time my daughter tried to drive over a snow jam that the snowplow left in front of her driveway. Ooops! She didn't make it. Unfortunately, out here, it's not possible to call AAA to the rescue. By this time, we noticed my Dad and my sister's husband hiking down to lend us a hand. Gotta love the timing.

Anyway, at this point we decided that we were all just too tired out to do anything more that collapse for the rest of the night. I called my sister and we postponed our planned dinner until tomorrow night. 6 PM...tomorrow night.

Murphyism of the Day

De Nevers's Lost Law

Never speculate on that which can be known for certain.

2 comments:

Mink said...

Ugh, I had a terrible dream this morning that David drowned in the lake :(

Old Grey Frog said...

There is no way that he'll go swimming where crayfish can nibble on his toes. I'll pass on the warning though...LOL. You know...I really should have taken some pictures of the adventure they had yesterday.