Thursday, November 16, 2006

Word of the Day

Vastation - Using your paid vacation days, but staying home.

I think all the grocery stores in our area decided to get together and fix the price of turkey this year. Every single grocery store is selling their turkeys for the exact same price. They're not over-charging but this is the first year that I've checked the food ads and every single grocery store has their turkeys at $.47 per pound. Maybe they'll lower their prices next week but I decided that I'd better get that frozen bird in the fridge so it'll thaw by Thanksgiving. I don't care what they say on the net. It takes a full week for a 20-pound turkey to thaw.

I went ahead and bought most of the fixings for Thanksgiving today. I still need to get a few more things but I can do that next week. There's time and some things are best if they're bought fresh. I'm going to try a few new recipes this year. One of the recipes is for Texas Cranberry-Jalapeno Relish. Another recipe is for Pumpkin Toffee Pie.

Murphyism of the Day

Grizzard's Sled-Dog Principle

Only the lead dog gets a change of scenery.

*****

Noteworthy Quote of the Day

"Poor Faulkner. Does he really think big emotions come from big words?" -- Ernest Hemingway (about William Faulkner)

No comments: