Thursday, February 12, 2009



Word of the Day

Palpicake - To test baked goods for freshness by prodding.


I caved. I had decided NOT to dye my hair from now on (go grey) but...I couldn't take it anymore. I just didn't like the look, especially as it was growing out. I found a non-permanent hair dye at the store the other day, the palest shade of blond that they had. No bleach. No ammonia. All my grey hairs are now various shades of blond. I still have a fairly wide band of hair that doesn't quite match the hair that I had professionally dyed last April but it looks like this non-permanent hair color will cover my grey hairs while leaving the natural non-grey color hairs alone. Eventually, after a few more hair cuts, I'm hoping that I'll look like I've paid a great deal of money for someone to weave my hair with blond highlights.

I got to use my new hair-dryer for the first time today. Works great!...so far. What happened to my old hair-dryer, you may ask? Since I bought my old hair-dryer shortly after HTP and I got back to Arizona in October, it really couldn't be called old. However, last week, while drying my hair, I heard an ominous crackling and snapping sound. I smelled smoke and the hair-dryer stopped working. It didn't blow the safety fuse. I quickly threw the smoking hair-dryer into the sink, expecting to see flames shooting out of it at any moment. I figured that the sink was a safer spot for it...just in case. I unplugged it. Since it was under a year old and under warranty, HTP and I returned it to the store (Walmart) for a full refund. They asked me if I wanted to exchange it with a new one (same kind) but once bitten... I bought a different brand. Hopefully, this new hair-dryer will last longer then that last one. It sure seems like I've been going through a lot of hair-dryers lately. Of course, the one that blew up at The Lake last year was about twenty years old...maybe older. It would be nice if this new hair-dryer will be the last one that I'll ever have to purchase....but...I'm not holding my breath. Things aren't made to last these days. There's no profit in it.

Murphyism of the Day

The Fifth Recommended Practice of the Committee of the International Society of Philosophical Engineers' Universal Laws for Naive Engineers


The most vital dimension on any plan or drawing stands the greatest chance of being omitted.

Noteworthy Quote of the Day

Exercise relieves stress. Nothing relieves exercise.


- Takayuki Ikkaku, Arisa Hosaka and Toshihiro Kawabata

No comments: