Tuesday, June 22, 2004

Big day today. We're getting a new generation DirecTV dish with high definition and three receptors. I can't believe this. I mean, when I was growing up we never had TV at all up here at The Lake. We were lucky if we had radio reception from the little yellow portable radio. I wonder if my Mom still has that little radio? That's OK. It lives on in my mind's eye. When HTP and I decided to build our house out here I never imagined anything close to what we have right now. I imagined a simple cabin. One room...two tops. Computers? TV? I did want hot running water and bathrooms. When my family first built out here at The Lake, we had running water but it wasn't hot and there was no indoor "facilities". I don't remember exactly how long it was before we got our indoor bathroom (still no hot water) but I sure didn't miss those midnight or midday trips out to the Library (outhouse). I never imagined networked computers with DSL connection (they are nice and I am not complaining), and three TV's with DirecTV and local stations...and we get to each watch something different. Actually, I'm told that we can now have four TV's.

I don't even watch TV. I do use the computer....alot. And I listen to the radio...online because the radio reception out here is awful. I listen to KFYI online and there is no static or weird "the Martians are landing" noises. This is a Phoenix station. I can listen to the weather and all the news from Arizona as I sit in my cool, comfortable weather here in Wisconsin. It's 88°F in Phoenix this morning...it'll get a lot hotter. Maricopa County has the most cases of West Nile Virus in the nation right now. I did not leave standing water in my backyard in Arizona so it's not my fault.

Anyway, because the DirecTV guy is coming today, HTP had to run out and buy a brand new TV for our living/family room here at The Lake. I think he got a bit carried away. I really tried to stop him. We didn't get a plasma TV but I have no idea why we needed this monster of a 36" TV. I think HTP was dazzled by the cost. You can buy a heck of a huge TV these days if you don't spend the money for a plasma TV. But this thing was heavy and we did not have it delivered. No strong men came to carry it into the house for us. No strong men came to lift it out of it's box onto the tiny little existing TV stand that we have. (I told HTP that we needed to buy a new one if he was going to get that huge monster of a TV but would he listen? Now we have to go out and get a new TV stand and tackle the monster again.) Anyway, at that point we had to rearrange all the furniture in our bedroom so we could accommodate the old TV in our bedroom. Needless to say I was a bit tired by the time I got to bed last night. On the plus side, HTP is thrilled with his new toy.

But I do like my modern conveniences though. I did spend some time the other day out on the deck with the laptop. But I was outside. I can even go out on the dock with the laptop and email people. Gotta love wireless networks. We don't have wireless at our place in Arizona. Too many people and security issues prohibit it. Here we don't have that problem...unless that guy who parks his pontoon boat at the foot of my dock every weekend brings his laptop with him while he's fishing and listening to his radio at full volume. Actually...that was last year. He and his flotilla haven't shown up this year...yet. Maybe my daughter and her new husband "encouraged" him to realize the error of his ways.

I'm sure I'll be glued to the TV soon enough if it's raining outside but for right now I'm just too busy enjoying The Lake...even if I haven't had the time yet to go fishing. I haven't even been down to the dock this year yet. Weeding continues. Unpacking continues. The diet continues...kinda.

Murphyism of the Day

Flugg's Law

When you need to knock on wood is when you realize the world's composed of aluminum and vinyl.

Today's Little Bit of Trivia (I still haven't replaced my book but I thought I'd make something up...but it's true...really.)

Did you know that there are some resorts out here in the U.S. that actually brag about not having cell phone reception, TV, or anything that would distract you from NATURE?

No comments: