Monday, March 28, 2005

2 Days and a Wake Up Before We Fly to Parris Island

Word of the Day

Telecrastination: The act of always letting the phone ring at least twice before you pick it up, even when you're six inches away.

Easter dinner leftovers along with coffee were served for breakfast this morning. I need to clear the fridge of perishables before we head off to the beautiful beaches of Parris Island, South Carolina. We'll only be gone for a few days but some things don't last too long. I finished up the raspberries this morning. I'll work on the strawberries tonight and tomorrow morning. I gave the desserts to my daughter and her husband. Tonight we'll finish up the prime rib.

Our Marine recruit daughter had no opportunity to call us yesterday. The weather at Parris Island shortened the famed Liberty Sunday to a mere 2 hours. The female recruits were kept close to shelter. I'm not sure if the entire platoon were "sheltered". It could be that they just sheltered the injured recruits. My daughter is on crutches and I'm sure she wouldn't have been able to move all that fast in case weather hit. I suppose we should be grateful that they were so well guarded but... I've learned a new military term. L-5. That's the signal that goes out if there is any lightning is within 5 miles of Parris Island. All recruits must be inside if L5 sirens are sounded. All the phone booths are outside on Parris Island. My daughter was able to make a 30-second phone call to her fiance. Some sainted person allowed the girls to use their cell phone. The batteries were failing but they were able to pass the cell phone around. Unfortunately, 30 seconds isn't all that long. Just long enough to hear a loved one's voice. I won't complain because I know that none of the other parents of Plt. 4009 received phone calls yesterday either...at least as far as I know. It won't be long now and we'll be able to see our daughter face to face.

Murphyism of the Day

First Rule of Superior Inferiority

Don't let your superiors know you're better than they are.

No comments: