Sunday, March 06, 2005

Word of the Day

Spinster: Political speech writer.

I "have to" read two more books for a contest that I'm helping to judge. I've never been fond of "having to" read anything. The minute I "have to" read something, I subconciously balk. Let's be honest. I hate to "have to" do anything! Anything that I "have to" do, all of a sudden, becomes a chore. I love to cook but I hate to "have to" cook. I love to garden, but I hate to "have to" garden. I love to take long walks, but I hate to "have to" take long walks. I love to read but I hate to "have to" read. I still do the things that I "have to" do but somehow the pleasure just isn't there that would have been there if I didn't "have to" do something.

One of the books that I had to read was really pretty awful. The other two books weren't too bad. One was really good and I would have been able to rate it higher if the last part of the book hadn't been so confused and confusing. It was almost like the author took her time and did a really good job on the first two parts of the book, she ran out of time, and then rushed the last part. I must say, it's not easy judging a three part book. I scored the three parts seperately and then averaged the score to get my final ranking on the book.

I still "have to" read two books. It shouldn't take me too long. One of the books is actually a re-read because before I knew that I had to judge the book, I purchased the book. Argh! Now I've got two copies of the book. I don't recall the plot so to be fair, I'll have to read it again. Couldn't have been that great or I would remember, right? Not really. I read a lot of books. I'll probably remember after reading just a couple of pages. But I'll re-read the whole book. I didn't read it the first time with judging in mind.

Will I agree to judge next year's contest? Probably. "Having to" read isn't all that much of a chore for me. Besides, I got free books out of the deal. Free can be a powerful motivator sometimes.

Murphyism of the Day

Law of Committo-Dynamics

Those most opposed to serving on committees are made chairpersons.

No comments: