Friday, March 18, 2005

Word of the Day

Inflation: Cutting money in half without damaging the paper.

HTP expressed the concern that our weather forecaster forecasted rain today. I blinked, and then asked him why rain would trouble him at this point. He reminded me that our landscaper had told him that the non-Kool-deck crew is supposed to resume grinding operations again today and that the dust might fall onto our neighbors' yards, get wet, and turn into a real mess that would be hard to clean off. I blinked. And then I asked him why he actually thought that the non-Kool-deck crew would actually show up today. Poor HTP, he still has a lot to learn when it comes to contractors. The minute HTP told me that our landscaper told HTP that the crew would be out here on Friday....or Saturday, I knew that there might be a 2% chance of anyone showing up on Friday and a 30% chance of anyone showing up on Saturday. It's the weekend! I was shocked to see these guys last weekend. I'm sure it was a fluke. If they didn't show up Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, or Thursday, chances are they aren't going to show up on a weekend.

Murphyism of the Day

Steiner's Precepts

1. Knowledge based on external evidence is unreliable.

2. Logic can never decide what is possible or impossible.

No comments: