Wednesday, March 30, 2005

We're Here in Beaufort....as close as we can get to Parris Island for today because they won't let us on base until tomorrow.

Word of the Day

Tolerance: What you get after giving growth hormone to ants.

It's my sister's birthday today! Happy Birthday Sis!

HTP and I left our house in Arizona at 4 AM. There was very little traffic on the roads. I did see a coyote but he was going the other direction. After arriving at the airport, we parked our car in one of those Park n' Fly lots and waited for the airport shuttle. It was cold outside but we didn't have to wait long. The shuttle came and picked us up along with many other "Park n' Fliers". We were the first to hit the pavement at the airport. Unfortunately, there weren't any employees manning the check-in desk. We had to wait until 5:30 AM before we could check our luggage. Gee! I sure am glad that we got to the airport early so we wouldn't have to stand in those long security lines. Instead we got to the airport early so we could stand in the long lines of people waiting for someone to check in their luggage. Actually, the security line wasn't too bad compared to the check-in line. I was happy to discover that after stripping off my jacket and my sweater and my shoes and putting all into a tub, I got through the security screening just fine. HTP had to go back through and take off his shoes. Pffft. I don't care if they tell you that you don't really have to take off you shoes, you do. I'm just glad that I wasn't that elderly gentleman who they had spread-eagled against the wall. That poor man was being wanded and patted down in a rather thorough manner that I'm sure I would have found offensive. Then there was that poor woman with the leg braces... They did let her go on through after it became obvious that she couldn't easily remove her shoes.

OK. We got past security and we were able to pick up a cup of coffee and roll to munch and slurp as we waited for our plane. I'd just finished my Venti Cafe Latte and half my roll when they called for us to start boarding our plane. Every seat on the plane was filled. HTP and I had a window and aisle seat. Next to me in the center aisle was a rather inebiated young man. He had friends of like mind in front of him and in front of me. I guess I've always felt that 7 AM was a bit early to start drinking but it became obvious that these guys felt differently. Thankfully, they weren't obnoxious. I was just totally amazed at how many drinks they were capable of downing in a three hour flight. I must say that the inflight movie seemed appropriate...not that they watched it...The Incredibles. I watched the movie without the sound. It really is a good movie but I'd just watched it Sunday and I didn't want to pay the $2 for a headset. No free food anymore on flights. We did get a couple of teeny cookies and a package of mini pretzels. Oh...and I got two beverages. No alcohol for me. Too early.

We arrived in Atlanta and caught the airport train from our gate to the gate where #1 son's flight was supposed to arrive. It did. So far, so good. No problems there. #1 son told us that his airport shuttle broke down and was late to pick him up at his dorm. They sent a taxi for him so he only arrived 30 minutes late to the airport. Fortunately, this didn't cause any problems with his flight. I guess he didn't have to go through any spread-eagle security searches. Anyway, after we rendevoused with #1 son, we all caught the airport train to again so we could get to the gate of our connecting flight to Savannah. We were early so we picked up a bite of lunch. There were lots of fast food type restaurants at the Atlanta airport so it wasn't hard to find something to eat.

Our new plane was smaller and packed. No inflight movie this time. The flight took only about 30 minutes. We were lucky to get a beverage on this flight. I barely had the time to gulp down my 8 oz. bottle of water before we were taxi'ing into the gate. Now we had to wait for our luggage. HTP went to get our rental car while #1 son and I waited to collect our luggage. I figured that HTP would be pacing a hole in the airport carpet by the time #1 son and I were finally able to collect our luggage. #1 son's suitcase came down the shoot before HTP's suitcase. My suitcase took longer. Oh well. We raced the bags over to the rental desk and were amazed to see that HTP was still waiting in line to get a car. There was only one gal working at the rental desk. OK. Patience. HTP finally got up to the desk. They ran out of full-size cars! What! What about a free upgrade? Nope..they didn't have any upgrades! What?! They could give us a down-grade. No way! Off she went to see if she could dig up a car for us. They were able to upgrade us to a Jeep Laredo. I mean, on the surface, you may think that this was a bigger car but it really isn't. It only seats four people. Max. There is no trunk. Sigh. We took it. HTP has been mumbling/grumbling ever since.

We loaded up our luggage and headed away from the Savannah airport. #1 son expressed the desire to check out the local Walmart. What is it with this family and Walmart? He must get this Walmart thing from his Grandmother G. There are no Walmarts near my son's college so he didn't want to miss the opportunity to pick up some soap and laundry detergent. Blink. OK. I guess he can fit it into his suitcase. Why not?

After Walmart, we continued on to Beaufort, South Carolina. We checked into our hotel. Nice hotel. #1 son said the room is a lot nicer then his dorm room. We've got a fridge, a microwave, and a comfy easy chair. #1 son approves. He raced off to shower before dinner...with his new soap.

We had supper at The Dockside. There was an hour long wait to get a table but the wait was worth it. The food was great and the view spectacular! And while we waited, we noshed on an onion loaf and sipped on beer. #1 son had a virgin Pina Colada...after he polished off the virgin strawberry dacquiri that they made for him by mistake. As we were noshing, we chatted with another couple of parents sitting next to us at the bar who have a daughter graduating on Friday too. I'm pretty sure that the reason The Dockside was so crowded was because of all the parents and relatives of graduating Marines. I mean the food was great but I'm pretty sure that Wednesday isn't a high traffic food service day. Actually, I'm pretty sure that Beaufort would cease to exist if it weren't for the USMC.

Well we're back at the hotel. We have high-speed internet. I can blog...if I can find the time. Tomorrow is another day and HTP is already sleeping. #1 son is watching the Suns play basketball....no...I'm wrong, he's sleeping too. What a great idea! Sleep! But first I'll turn off the TV.

Murphyism of the Day

Wellington's Law of Command

The cream rises to the top.
So does the scum.

No comments: