Saturday, March 12, 2005

Word of the Day

Anasthesia: A Russian princess you studied about in school.

And if there weren't enough dust....

Kool-deck Update

I don't have real Kool-deck. I have a product that's a Kool-deck look-a-like. A Kool-deck wanna-be. Right now, I've got a crew of men with hand-held grinders, grinding off my "Kool-deck that isn't Kool-deck", right down to the concrete slab. Why? I think I mentioned in a past blog that we were having problems with this "Kool-deck that isn't". It started to erupt in large patches, separating from the base concrete slab in huge chunks. Efflorescence formed over the whole. It looks like we had been visited by Mr. Frost...or maybe a freak desert snow. The dogs tracked through the efflorescence leaving little tiny footprints in the "snow". I don't plan on replacing this "Kool-deck that isn't". I'm going to try something else.

Dust. Huge white clouds of dust and fine grit are rising from my backyard. Blowing in the breeze. Settling on my grill, the outdoor furniture, the leaves of my trees and my once red hibiscus blossoms. I made them cover my fountain. I hate to think what this grit would do to my fountain pump. At this point there's a fog of white dusty haze blanketing my backyard. It reminds me of the time my son stripped off his diaper and dumped a whole economy-sized container of Johnson's Baby Powder onto himself and everything else in his room. At least that dust smelled nice. I don't know what this dust smells like. I don't plan on going outside to find out.

I dread what my neighbors must be thinking. I await, with trepidation, the ring of our doorbell. A vengeful neighborhood posse wouldn't surprise me at this point. The origin of all this dust is pretty obvious. Clouds of dust are wafting and exploding from our yard, carried in the breeze toward the east. One point in my favor is that the house behind me is vacant. You can't receive angry phone calls from non-existent neighbors. Another adjoining house is a rental home. I think it might be vacant right now too. One can only hope. I did call my other neighbor. She wasn't home. I left a message offering to help her clean whatever mess settles into her yard. I've done what I can. I can do no more.

Murphyism of the Day

Freeman's Rule

Circumstances can force a generalized incompetent to become competent, at least in a specialized field.

No comments: