Wednesday, March 16, 2005

Word of the Day

Disconfect: To sterilize the piece of candy you dropped on the floor by blowing on it, assuming this will somehow 'remove' all the germs.


I am not obsessed with the thought of my daughter tackling the challenges of the Crucible. Just because I've been logging onto the Parris Island support site and checking the weather every half hour or so, that doesn't mean that I'm obsessed. I'm just checking to see how the other parents are reacting. Argh!!!! It's raining at Parris Island. Not one of those nice warm rains. I have no idea how my daughter's platoon or the brother platoons are doing anything today. I'm not obsessed. Concern...that's it...I'm just a bit concerned. Yah, right! On the positive side, I know that the drill instructors and the masochists that designed the challenges are all out there in this mess too so it's not just my daughter out there. I also have to trust that they won't ask these recruits to do anything in this rain that could prove too dangerous because of the rain. I'm not stupid when it comes to war. People don't put wars on hold just because it's raining. These recruits are sure getting a taste for challenges in less then ideal conditions. I just wish that it wasn't raining on this part of the world right now. I'll breath a lot easier tomorrow. I'll sleep a lot better tomorrow. But...I'm not obsessed. Not a bit of it. I sure am glad I won't have to get all the mud out of those cammies...underwear...socks... I hope they give them more then 5 minutes for their showers after they get back. I hope they allow them to use shampoo and hot water. I pray they all come back in one unbroken piece.

OK...enough of that. It's a beautiful clear day here in Arizona. I think the non-Kool-deck crew are waiting for it to rain before they come back. Failing that, I think they're waiting until the temperatures sore to the 90's. Right now, it's only in the 60's with the high predicted to be in the lower 70's. The dogs have staked out their spots in a patch of sun. One is reclining on the decorative brick edge of the raised garden bed, the other is laying on a patch of non-Kool-deck that still awaits removal. They create quite a picture of contentment outside in our backyard. I'd go out and join them but the non-Kool-deck crew stacked up all my yard furniture in a pile over by the air-conditioning unit and all the cushions are stored in the garage for the duration.

Murphyism of the Day

Oppenheimer's Law

There is no such thing as instant experience.

No comments: