Wednesday, April 07, 2004

24 Days Before Closing (The time that remains before we have to get out of this house)

To line my drawers and shelves or not to line my drawers and shelves, that is the question, whether 'tis nobler in the mind to.... OK. I'm really trying to figure this out. Why do people line their drawers and shelves? I remember why I used to do it. I used to line the drawers to protect the wooden bottoms of the drawers from getting dirty because it was so hard to clean them. I still line the drawers of my bedroom dressers for that reason. But this isn't an issue with the drawers in my new kitchen or my current kitchen for that matter. I could spill a whole can of coke in one of these drawers and I'd still be able to wipe it right up. These new drawers have a built-in lining. The same holds true for the shelves. I was told that you should line the shelves to protect your dishes and glasses from chipping. I can understand this reasoning but in all the years that I've put dishes and glasses into my cupboards, I don't remember ever having this problem. I have been known to drop a few glasses and plates on the floor. They break. I have lost a few glasses to the water dispenser on the fridge. But I've never lost any from putting them into the unlined cupboards. Unless someone can give me a good reason to line these drawers and cupboards, I fear they will have to remain unlined. Sorry Martha.

Today's Little Bit of Trivia

We all know that it is often difficult for people to say they're sorry. For the equivalent of $2.50, the Apology and Gift Center in Tianjin, China, will send someone to apologize for you. The company claims to br thriving; in Chinese culture many people fear that making an apology will make them "lose face". And for anyone who can't afford $2.50, there's another alternative: saying "I'm sorry" live on the popular Beijing People's Radio show Apologize in Public Tonight.

No comments: