Tuesday, December 14, 2004

I had a box UPS'd to my daughter in Omaha. UPS came to pick it up at my door yesterday afternoon. I love that. We would have had to pay more if we'd brought the box over to the Post Office or even one of these UPS Stores and this way I didn't even have to leave my house or stand in line for hours. I love this service. Shhh...it's a secret. When the guy came to pick up the box I noted that the box contents were fragile. He slapped a fragile sticker on the box and threw it into the truck. Sigh. I have little confidence that the cookies that I'm sending my daughter will actually arrive in anything other then pieces. Oh well...I tried. It's the thought that counts.

My cool-deck still isn't right. HTP and I have done some research and it now looks like they're going to have to sand off the entire coating, acid bathe it, and then let things settle for a good month before trying again. OK. I can live with that. I don't think I can live with the stalagmites that seem to be growing on the deck. Yes. The crystals are coming back after just two days. I want my patio back! Before Christmas. I'll worry about this later. I don't have time right now. I have to get ready for Christmas. Oh...I finished the scarf that I was knitting for #1 son.

Baking is progressing. I have a batch of almond meringue cookies in the oven right now. I'll turn off the oven in a bit and let them continue in the oven for another two hours. I need to make another batch later tonight but I think I'll make spritz first. During the two hours that the first batch of meringues is "setting", HTP and I have to do some shopping. I'll cook up the second batch of meringues tonight so they can "set" in the oven overnight while we sleep.

Murphyism of the Day

Westheimer's Rule

To estimate the time it takes to do a task: estimate the time you think it should take, multiply by two and change the unit of measure to the next highest unit. Thus we allocate two days for a one-hour task.

Old Grey Frog's Addendum to Westheimer's Rule

We should allocate two months for a two day task.

No comments: