Saturday, December 04, 2004

Well this is sure going to be a learning experience! Our daughter, Mink, is going through the beginning process of becoming a GI Jane...or maybe they don't refer to Marines in that manner? I think I may be mixing up my branches of the military. What does one call a Marine who happens to be a female? My neighbor tells me that they used to call them BAMs. Broad-Assed Marines. I'll have to ask Mink if they still use that acronym. Doesn't sound too PC to me. Anyway, she's going into boot camp (Parris Island, SC) on January 3rd and I'm learning all kinds of new stuff. She passed her physical and has been sworn in. She passed her suspended arm hang and crunch test and still has to show them that she can run 1-1/2 miles in less then 15 minutes so she doesn't get placed into "The fat farm" version of boot camp. I think she plans to do that next week. MEPS? ASVAB? What the heck is MOS? And then there's PFC...which I think may refer to the level at which my daughter enters boot camp? I assume it means Private First Class. And then there's E2? I think they're the same thing. And now I need to learn all about the mail system because I'll want to write to her...but I'm not supposed to send any postcards or anything odd or strange that could make her conspicuous or could cause problems with the DI. An RCT is a recruit. And then there's 4th Battalion Oscar Company. My brain was on overload at this point. I think I'll just concentrate on getting my annual Christmas card printed out and sent to everyone. And then I need to go shopping. And then there's the baking.

Murphyism of the Day

Warren's Rule

To spot the expert, pick the one who predicts the job will take the longest and cost the most.

No comments: