Wednesday, October 12, 2005

Word of the Day

Fingoes - Long toes that could be fingers.

Time is flying by yet again. I suppose I could put a countdown ticker on my blog but I'll just tell you that our Saturday departure is looming way faster than one would expect. Time is really strange that way.

I started five quarts of strawberry schnapps yesterday. Blink! NO! I'd be dead right now from alcohol poisoning if I'd drunk that much. Let's see if I can phrase that better. I have a recipe that tells you how to make your own strawberry (any berry) schnapps. I used this same recipe last summer to make wild raspberry schnapps and blackberry schnapps and both turned out so well I thought I'd try the recipe with strawberries. It takes one whole month to make but the longer it brews the better so I may just let this stuff sit until Christmas. I got the process started. You mix Everclear (190 proof...yes, it's legal here in Wisconsin) with strawberries and then occasionally shake the jar ( we're down to 95 proof now). After a month or more you strain the mixture and you have Strawberry Schnapps. From there...I have recipes for making Cordial using the schnapps which will cut the alcohol content down to a more manageable 45 proof.

This morning I finished making my pickled fish which I'm bringing back to Arizona. I think it'll turn out great and far easier to transport than frozen fish. I've started of list of things in the fridge that I need to bring along in our cooler. The pickled fish is one of the items on the list.

I also cleaned out the fridge because our last garbage collection is tomorrow morning. Any garbage that we produce after tonight will have to come with us to be dumped as soon as we find a suitable dumpster. I really hate throwing away good food. One of the hardest things to do each year when we start getting ready to leave for the year is getting rid of all the food that will go bad. I swear I've gained 10 pounds already because I really hate getting rid of the perishable food.

We to use up all the beer too. We're making a truly heroic effort to get rid of all our beer before we hit the road. LOL...that came out bad. Let me re-phrase that. Our goal is to finish up all the beer by Friday night (We don't leave until Saturday). We do not plan to hit the road loaded with anything more that ourselves, our dogs, and our boxes and boxes and boxes and suitcases of stuff.

I am mostly packed...at least as packed as I can be without living out of a suitcase. I'll finish up packing the rest of my stuff on Friday. Tomorrow's laundry so I'll have more stuff to pack after that too. HTP has gone off to buy some of our favorite Butternut coffee to bring back with us. More stuff to pack into our car but you can't buy Butternut coffee in Arizona. I have no idea why but you just can't.

Murphyism of the Day

Putt's Law

Technology is dominated by two types of people:

1. Those who understand what they do not manage.

2. Those who manage what they do not understand.

No comments: