Wednesday, October 26, 2005

Word of the Day

Foodgitive - Food that falls from your plate or utensil.

I'm losing track of time. I know my watch is somewhere but I can't remember where I put it. This is the result of a campaign that I started long ago when I noticed a watch line and dent in my arm. I no longer wear a watch on my arm. I wear a pocket watch which I clip to my belt loop. Thing is, I have to remember to clip it onto my belt loop and sometimes I'm not wearing an outfit that has belt loops. Ah well...there's always my new atomic clock/wireless thermometer combo.

Shortly after we got back here to Arizona, I bought a new atomic clock/wireless thermometer. I had an old one but it bit the dust. Actually, it never worked all that well at the best of times. I'd bought it as new technology but I guess its new technology hadn't been around long enough to work the glitches out. I don't think it liked our Arizona heat either. But that's old news. It died and I had to buy new...new technology. Why do they make these things so hard to figure out? I'm a college graduate so I can read directions and I do. It sure would be nice if all you had to do was plunk in the batteries and "Woohoo! It works!" Not so easy. We don't have DLS time here in Arizona. No daylight saving time. So...you have to read through this huge instruction book to figure out what you have to do in order to make it go away. I think I've got it but.... My other beef with these things is that you have take four tiny little screws out of the remote sensing device before you can even start to install batteries in the sucker. Do you know how hard it is to find a screwdriver that's small enough to work on screws that size? Good thing my husband keeps a set in the office to use for computer stuff. Anyway, at least they've made it so that the screws don't actually come out now. I guess too many people had to chase after screws and screws that size tend to disappear. Poof! After you've managed to get the batteries installed properly, you have to screw these four tiny screws all back in. I had to do this whole procedure twice because I didn't notice that I was supposed to push a teeny button inside the battery casing that would let me read the temperature in °F instead of °C. D'oh!

Murphyism of the Day

The Fourth Law of Procrastination

Avoidance of interruptions including the assignment of other duties can usually be achieved, so that the obviously stressed worker can concentrate on the single effort of procrastination.

No comments: