Saturday, October 29, 2005

Word of the Day

Frayseology - Study of broken English.

I've managed to poke all kinds of holes in my hands. I decided that I needed to continue with my pruning chores. Along with the bleeding holes, I've added a whole new bunch of bleeding scratches too. I know that it's not too smart to try and trim palm trees without using gloves but I hate wearing gardening gloves. They never fit quite right and they always seem to get in my way. Plus, even gloves can't protect you from every spine. There are times that I've done more damage to my hands when I'm wearing gloves than when I've gone without. Palm trees may look all nice and frondy but they can be lethal. These pygmy date palms aren't as bad as some palm trees but they've definitely got their own defense system. It makes pruning a real challenge. I quit after pruning two of them. Actually, I was amazed. Both the palms that I pruned had pups over the summer, so I guess my two actually ended up as eight. Anyway, the pups made pruning all the more difficult. It was hard to untangle all the fronds and just trim what needed to be trimmed without getting stabbed by the spines. Even the pups needed pruning. The palms have also grown a lot taller than I expected. From my experience, pygmy date palms don't grow that fast. I guess they like my yard. I think I'll let HTP trim the rest of the palm trees. There's only three or four more....not counting the pups. He likes to wear gloves and I've lost enough blood for one day.

Murphyism of the Day

Swipple's Rule of Order

He who shouts loudest has the floor.

No comments: