Thursday, March 30, 2006

Twenty-Seven Days Until We Leave Arizona

Word of the Day

Oinkment - A healing goo that makes you oink like a piggy.

Today is my sister's birthday! Happy Birthday Sis! Happy Birthday to You! Happy Birthday to You! Happy Birthday Dear Sis! Happy Birthday to You! Here's hoping that you have a wonderful day!

I ordered my vegetable plants today from Burpee. First I had to make sure that they wouldn't arrive in Wisconsin before HTP and I got there. So I called the 1-800 number for Burpee and asked. I was assured that said plants wouldn't get to me in Wisconsin until mid-May. Great! I'll be there to greet the UPS guy or FedEx or the USPS guy. Whichever method of delivery Burpee decides to choose. I'll even make every effort to have my garden all tilled and prepped for the new arrivals. I'm going to do some experimentation this year. I've never grown eggplant. There's a reason for that. I never was all that fond of eggplant. However, I've decided that it's not bad if it's cooked the way they cooked it for us in Italy. Really fine slices cooked as if they were sheets of lasagna pasta. Used instead of the lasagna pasta. Same Lasagna recipe...no pasta. It was really good that way. Plus, HTP's Mom loves these Italian Eggplant Pickles. And I'm told that it makes a wonderful hummus-style dip if you roast it. So...I ordered three varieties of eggplant. One actually has white skin. Plus, I got some different varieties of tomato plants. One actually promises that I'll have ripe tomatoes by the 4th of July. And, of course, I ordered some Italian Pepper plants. And some peppers for stuffing. Seeds? I can get those from any of the local stores when we get to Wisconsin. I'm tempted to order a couple of new planters this year too...but I've got time before I need to do that. Your tomato plants end up growing upside down from a hanging container. Interesting. Very interesting. My sister told me about them last year. I wonder if she got any and if so, how well they worked. The Earthboxes that I tried last year worked fine...to a certain degree. I plan to experiment more with those this summer. I'd also like to see how well my tame raspberry plants survived the winter and deer. If they survived, I may decide to order more raspberry plants. I'll still go out and pick the wild raspberries but it sure would be nice to have a handier crop closer to the house. I wonder how my currants did over the winter? The tame raspberries and the currant bushes were last summer's experiments...still in progress.

Murphyism of the Day

Oien's Observation

The quickest way to find something is to start looking for something else.

No comments: