Wednesday, March 01, 2006

Word of the Day

Mined reader - Ore inspector.

HTP and I have finally accepted the fact that we're going to have to replace our winter-damaged trees. No-one at the HOA has complained but I'm sure that will be coming soon. It's best to be on top of these things. Besides, I want to make sure that the plants have a good start before we return to Wisconsin for the summer. Although I can see some improvement on one of the trees (a minor, inexpensive tree...figures...Murphy's Law rules. In balance, whenever there's a possibility that an expensive item or an inexpensive receive damage, the expensive item is the one that takes the hit.) , we have decided that dancing with sheets whenever the weather decides to dip below freezing is a thing to be avoided. Even should the one tree survive, do I really want to baby it every single winter? I've done some research and I've decided to replace these cold sensitive trees with hardier breeds. Southern Live Oak seems to be the answer. We'll see. Just because I find the tree in a book doesn't mean that it'll be sold at the nurseries. Anyway, it seems to like the heat and, just as important, the cold. Plus, it doesn't seem to have any disadvantages like other varieties that I've been researching. OK. That'll take care of four of the trees. I'm going to replace the two minor trees with Oleander trees. They seem to be hardier than the Thevitia. I'm also looking to replace the bouganvillea. My neighbor hates that bush. I'm not fond of it either. It looks icky right now. It's frost tender. Out it goes. I haven't decided on its replacement. Maybe I'll see something at the nursery that strikes a positive note. So...it's off to the nursery for HTP and me.

Murphyism of the Day

First Postulate of Iso-Murphyism

Things equal to nothing else are equal to each other.

No comments: