Thursday, March 02, 2006

Word of the Day

Mindsight - A vision of something to come as opposed to perfect vision of what should have been.

I attacked winter-damaged bouganvillea with a lopping shears. All told, I think I escaped with minimal damage. For those of you who don't know bouganvillea, they have spines that rival those on some of the meanest cactus. At least cactus spines aren't camouflaged with leaves. Despite the gloves that I wore, the spines got in a few good pokes. Thankfully the soles of my shoes are fairly thick. Even as careful as I was, spines made a dogged attempt at piercing my feet. Nasty bush. I still want to dig that bush out but it may have to wait a bit longer. The cost of buying six trees made me want to think about it a bit longer. However, the blood-letting from trimming the dang bush made me long for a spineless substitute.

HTP and I bought six new trees that will be delivered and planted on March 14th. I didn't buy the Live Oak that I'd researched because they didn't have them at the nursery. I bought Brazilian Pepper trees...which I also researched. Two of the four are multi-trunked and will be planted in my backyard. The other two (single-trunked) will go in the front yard. Hah! I know that they're females because they have berries. I guess this tree is also known as a ChristmasBerry tree. The berries are used in Christmas decoration. I bought two oleander trees too. Those will replace the thevitia. I looked for something to replace the bouganvillea but...I couldn't find anything that stood out as an obvious replacement.

So, I did all the trimming for the frontyard. The backyard will have to wait a bit. Exhaustion sets in. Despite all this activity, I still don't feel like starting on the second of four books that I need to read for the judging. I'll get to it. Maybe tonight. Maybe if I fortify myself with a nice glass of wine it won't be so painful.

Murphyism of the Day

Coit-Murphy's Statement on the Power of Negative Thinking

It is impossible for an optimist to be pleasantly surprised.

No comments: