Tuesday, April 11, 2006

Fifteen Days Until We Leave Arizona

Word of the Day

Pasturize - To convert into grassland.

The service rep from Burpee's e-mailed me this morning. Problem solved. They gave me a new order number. I have no idea what will happen to the plants that should arrive on my doorstep in Wisconsin on the 13th of April but Burpee's has promised to send an identical order out (my order) in Mid-May and they haven't run out of anything that I ordered.

With that problem off my back, I sallied forth to the beauty salon. I needed another anti-grey treatment. This salon is a bit expensive but I know that they won't screw things up. I try to limit my visits to this salon to twice during our winter stay here in Arizona. I can live with the skunk line for a certain extent of time.

So I was sitting there in the salon with my cool glass of water with a twist of lemon, waiting while my hair was processing. There were a bunch of us. I brought along a Sudoku book to keep me busy because from past experience I know that this salon only provides high class reading material. The sort of designer clothing and decorator magazines that leave you feeling totally depressed about your looks and your home. And then, to top it off they advertise sparkly objects that cost as much as most people make in a year. I avoid such books and magazines.

Anyway, as I was saying, I was sitting there in the salon with my cool glass of water with a twist of lemon. Right off the bat, I witnessed a true cellphone addict. Why do these people always feel like they have to talk loudly into a cell phone? She was on the phone when I was seated. Eventually she finished her long winded conversation. I breathed a silent sigh of relief and figured that I could now enjoy my puzzle without the background noise of her conversation. Wrong. She started twitching. She honestly starting twitching before she dug her cell phone out of her purse and made another call. Apparently she had to call someone to inform them that she was at the beauty salon. Then, no sooner than she started that conversation, she had to hang up on that person because she had another call coming in. She spent the entire time with that cellphone glued to her ear. Her technician came and finally took her away. Cell phone still glued to her ear, the last thing I heard her say as she exited the room was, "Gotta go. They want to wash this stuff out of my hair." I now know far more than I'd ever care to know about her coming Easter dinner plans for the family. The rest of us in the processing room heaved a vocal sigh of relief as she exited the room. Her sister is bringing a quarter of a sheet cake because she had some peanut brittle left over from Christmas that she was going to put out.

I really love going to this salon. It's usually so nice and quiet and relaxing. Plus, nothing feels quite so nice as having someone else wash and style your hair while you just sit there and let yourself be pampered.

I went shopping afterwards. I stopped and bought a few books to read. New books which I'm going to try and exercise restraint by NOT reading them all tonight. Then it was off to Lee-Lee's to buy Black Sesame Seed Salt. I found it. I tried to ask someone where to find the stuff but they don't speak English very well at Lee-Lee's. And I don't speak...Oriental. However, after traversing the aisles of this huge market (it really is big) I stumbled across my Black Sesame Seed Salt or Goma Shio. I couldn't remember the Goma Shio part and even if I had I probably would have gotten a blank stare or a slap in the face. Who knows what they would have thought I'd tried to say afterall? They certainly didn't understand me when I asked for Black Sesame Seed Salt. Anyway, mission accomplished. I now have enough of the stuff for me and my sister and whoever else may decide that they need some.

Murphyism of the Day

Law of Perversity of Nature

You cannot successfully determine beforehand which side of the bread to butter.

No comments: