Saturday, June 04, 2005

Word of the Day

Cankle: Where the ankle meets the calf.

The sun is losing it's battle with the clouds today. On the plus side, it isn't actually raining and there aren't too many weekenders.

I noted that there were a bunch of boats beating the waters yesterday. I tend to lose track of time out here at The Lake so when I saw all those boats, I was a bit confused. Oh....it was Friday. That's why the weekenders were back. Well, they had a nice day for it yesterday but it's really windy today and as I said, it's supposed to rain...maybe storm.

Stormy weather is something the weathermen tend to emphasize out here. Weather Alert! Run! Hide! Severe Thunderstorms! OK. It reminds me of the old story with the kid who cried wolf. Same goes for Breaking News but that's another story! Yes, we'll probably have a bit of rain. We may even see lightening and hear thunder. It's not the end of the world. The sky is not falling. Save it for a tornado warning and let me know if there is a tornado watch. The rest I can figure out for myself. Do people really need to be told not to stand outside, flying a kite ala Ben Franklin, when you can feel the weather turning?

Mattress Update. The mattress did not come yesterday. HTP still doesn't think it's going to fit into our sleigh bed. Heaven only knows if the mattress will come today. It's still early. If it comes, it comes. Stay tuned for further updates.

My Devil Dog Daughter is at MCT (Marine Combat Training). There is a training matrix of sorts so I've been able to figure out generally what she's doing each day. Unfortunately, I have no idea what the heck some of these acronyms mean. Though I can figure out that she's being trained in the use of various weapons, I have no idea what those weapons are. I can look them up on the internet but I'm afraid that will flag me as some sort of domestic terrorist and I'll be added to some homeland security watch list. Anyway, it was pretty clear that they had to establish a bivouac yesterday (I think that means that they're "camping") and that today they're learning all about hand grenades. Hands on.


Murphyism of the Day

Hamilton's Rule for Cleaning Glassware and Windows

The spot you are scrubbing is always on the other side.

Corollary:

If the spot is on the inside, you won't be able to reach it.

No comments: