Tuesday, June 21, 2005

Word of the Day

Coolth: Opposite of warmth.

I'm back at The Lake until Thursday. Actually, I was only gone one night. It seems longer then that. Geez! I was only gone one night! What the heck happened out here?! The excavators started work on our driveway. That's obvious! I mean it looks really messy and muddy. I'm not sure if anyone without a 4x4 could actually come and go on our driveway right now. Sigh. And then...I looked at my garden. There must have been a heck of a storm that blew through. Not too much rain, only 1/2" in my rain gauge. Out in my garden I saw that I probably lost a tomato plant. It doesn't look too good right now. I think I lost another tomato plant out on the deck in one of my containers. That's only the stuff from my side of the lake. When my folks and I got to their side of the lake, we needed to haul trees off the road. HTP came over and helped remove the biggest of them. Mission accomplished. It shouldn't come as a shock to anyone that I've already discovered two creeping woodticks. I'm sure I'll find more before the night is through. On top of that, Mom wasn't happy because a deer munched on her grape vine and her tame raspberries despite the fact that she sprayed them with deer repellent. Good grief! We were only gone for one night! We're going to be gone longer next time. Heaven only knows what we'll find after 4-7 days away from home.

We head back to Rochester on Thursday. My Dad has to check in for his operation on Friday. He's having a tumor removed. Doctors always seem to want to remove these things if they find them...just in case. They tell us that he'll be hospitalized for 4-7 days there at Mayo afterwards. Maybe longer. I'm not sure if I'll be able to stay for the whole time he's there or not. I'm going to try but...

My Devil Dog Daughter may be married on July 2nd. That means that HTP and I will have to go pick up HTP's parents in Minneapolis and head down to Omaha on July 1. It's pretty doubtful that my folks will be able to attend the wedding at this point. I'm not at all sure how my Dad will be feeling by July 1st when we'll have to head down for the wedding. On top of this, #1 son has a friend flying in from Arizona on July 2nd so he's not going to be able to come with us to Omaha. He's going to have to pick up his friend in Minneapolis and drive back here to The Lake. Actually, I'm not even sure if my DD daughter will be granted leave so it may be a moot point. We'll see. Stay tuned for further episodes of The Life and Times of The Old Grey Frog because it's starting to look like I'll be able to write a few homegrown Murphyisms after this summer.

Murphyism of the Day

Old Grey's Law of Weather Forecasting

If the weatherman is predicting sunny and dry weather, get out your umbrellas.

No comments: