Sunday, June 26, 2005

Word of the Day

Chadectomy: 1. The removal of any foreign object from a ballot. 2. Breaking up with any guy named Chad.

Day Three at The Mayo Clinic in Rochester. Things are progressing. My Dad has only one more tube to be removed. They're going to see how his lungs looks and if all's well, they'll remove the last one. He's not feeling too chipper today. Come on Dad, what did you expect? You'd be able to race up and down the halls and eat pizza and drink beer? I don't think so. It's going to take a bit longer then that to recover from having someone cut open your chest "from guggle to zatch". The other day, I remembered this quote. It seemed appropriate at the time. My family have adopted this quote ever since reading a "fairy tale" when I was much younger. Aha! Thank you Yahoo! I found it. James Thurber in The Thirteen Clocks.

It looks like the wedding of my Devil Dog Daughter is a definite go. She's been given a verbal OK for her leave and the airline ticket has been purchased. Wow! I guess I'd better get busy and buy a card. This is definitely turning out to be a summer to remember! I'm hoping for a formal re-run of the wedding (the wedding of my daughter's dreams) the summer after the groom gets back from "The Sandbox". Now, let's all pray that a verbal OK is as good as a written OK and that she'll have the appropriate paperwork in hand so she can leave the base.

Rochester Update! Oh my goodness! They've removed the last drainage tube from Dad's chest. A nurse came in and gave Mom and Dad...and me...the check-out lecture about medications, exercise, etc. From all outward signs, Dad will be released from the hospital tomorrow. Tomorrow! That was a lot faster then we were expecting. Needless to say. I'm still in a state of denial. They can't possibly be thinking about releasing him so soon. This in no way means that we all don't want him to come home but...Wow!

Mom is going to spend the night at the hospital tonight so that she won't miss being with Dad for his morning doctor visit. Doctors make their rounds really early at Mayo. It's always a good idea for two sets of ears (at least) to be present, especially for this last doctor visit before heading back to the wilds of The Lake.

Murphyism of the Day

O'Toole's Axiom

One child is not enough, but two children are far too many.

Old Grey's Axiom

Don't get me started on three children....

No comments: