Wednesday, June 22, 2005

Word of the Day

Costaphobic: Fear of opening all the bills at the end of the month.

One whole day of laundry. Plus...the excavators are here again working on the road. #1 son had to use the Gator to go to work today. Otherwise, the road is pretty much hard to navigate.

I spent the morning in the garden, staking and tying up my tomato plants. I'm hoping that the one tomato plant that got snapped off in the storm will come back. I covered up the broken stem with dirt and staked it. Maybe it will come back by rooting. We'll see how it looks when I get back here.

While I was downstairs doing laundry, I found a present. My friends left me a thank you gift. Thank you Gal! That was really nice of you. The craft person's heart in me is going pitty-pat. I'm going to have to show HTP's mother the fly-swatter. It's really cute and I know that she'll love to see it so she can make one of her own. She's better at that sort of craft then me. Though my mind did do that quick analysis on how the project was accomplished. My craft forte leans in other directions. Which reminds me...I have to block the doilie that I made for my daughter. I got a new kitchen towel, a pin cushion and some caffeine-free herbal teas too. Now I have some tea to offer them the next time they come for a visit. I was really scrounging when they were here. I've got a jar of various teas that I've stolen from hotels while traveling but aside from those, I've got a very poor selection of caffeine-free teas. So you see? There is a reward to doing laundry. I wouldn't have seen the gift if I hadn't been down the basement changing the sheets in the guest room.

Murphyism of the Day

Bess' Universal Principles

1. The telephone will ring when you are outside the door, fumbling for your keys.

2. You will reach it just in time to hear the click of the caller hanging up.

Old Grey's Corollary

1. The telephone will ring when you are close enough to just barely hear the phone ring but too far away to reach it (ie. In the basement doing laundry or out in the garden or down on the dock).

2. You will reach it just in time to hear the last of the message left by your caller on the answering machine.

3. Some people are still afraid of answering machines.

4. The people who are afraid to leave messages on the answering machine, keep the people who missed their calls awake at night.

No comments: