Saturday, June 25, 2005

Word of the Day

Coughee: 1. Coughing while drinking coffee. 2. He/She who is coughed upon.

Day Two at The Mayo Clinic in Rochester. I'm going to follow the same format that I used yesterday in my blog. I'll start this blog and add to it and finish it as the day wears on. When you see the closing Murphyism, you'll know that I'm done...or I'm just too tired to finish. Just know that I'll try to finish up before toddling off to bed.

My Dad is coming along fine. They've already removed several bells and whistles and plan to remove more as the day goes on. He's been up and sitting by the bed. They allowed him breakfast and, more important, real coffee. His eyes lit up at the offer. "I can have that?" Woohoo! I can sympathize. I actually attacked the dormant coffee-maker in the Family Waiting Room. It didn't take too long for me to figure out how to work it. As Mom and I were puzzling over the coffee-maker, we watched Dad wave as he walked down the hall. It looks like they're going to keep him really busy today.

There is no reason for me to linger at the hospital anymore. I do plan to return to grab my Mom for meals and visit but in the meantime, I'll be here in the air-conditioned hotel room, watching TV, reading my book, working on my crotchet project, playing Pogo, and/or adding to my blog or reading and answering e-mails. If my Dad is up to it, I may bring the laptop over to the hospital so he can write his own e-mails offline. I can send them out when I get back to our room. As I said, there is no reason to "hover". Besides, although Dad has a private room, that room is pretty crowded, especially when that bevy of nurses come in.

Mom and I ate supper at the visitor's cafeteria for lunch and supper. The food isn't too bad. At least they have a salad bar. The food Dad has to choose from sounds good on paper but leaves something in the translation. He's going to have to beg for salt and pepper or stick to pudding, cookies and coffee. Yuck! I think they cook this way as an incentive tool. Incentive for the patients to get well and leave.

Murphyism of the Day

Ringwald's Law of Household Geometry

Any horizontal surface is soon piled up.

No comments: