Sunday, June 05, 2005

Word of the Day

Canoedle: The art of unskilled boatmanship.

As soon as the breakfast coffee was drunk and the male members of our family showered, we headed off to drop the dogs off at my folk's place. Our purpose? A day in The Big City. #1 son wanted to see the newest Star Wars movie on the biggest screen with the best sound. None of these are available here in our little hamlet or even in the city. One has to travel 2 1/2 hours to get to a movie theatre with these specifications. There is a movie theatre in the city but it has 7 screens and the sound isn't the best and well...it's a small city. We're grateful to even have a movie theatre so close (1/2 hour drive). Needless to say, there is not movie theatre in our little town. We do have a video rental store, of sorts. Well....there's a rack of movie rentals at the gas station and another at the grocery store. The selection is limited so we tend to go to the biggest video/DVD rental store of them all. The internet.

After we dropped #1 son off at the movie theatre, HTP dropped me off at The Mall. I shopped until I dropped. I actually bought very little. I bought a book so I'd have something to do when my feet wore off and I had to sit. I bought a smoothie because I like smoothies and I don't make those at home. I bought some lotion (lemon scented) to use as a first defense against the mosquitoes. Hey! It works! Well...it's not perfect but the OFF spray tends to give me a headache. It works for those times that I want to go outside and sit on the deck after 5 PM and during the day. It doesn't work if you actually hunt out the mosquitoes in the woods while berry picking. I save the OFF for those times. No point in hunting chipmunks with tanks. Save the appropriate weapons for the appropriate times. Anyway, to go on, I also got a back brush because I didn't have one. It's not always easy finding one that'll work. I'm not sure this one will work either. The bristles seem a bit soft and the handle is a bit shorter then I'd like but it's better then anything else I've seen out there so I'll give it a try. So...by this time I'd walked around the entire Mall, detouring to oogle the various stores of interest, holding tight to my control so I wouldn't buy this and that because I knew that I really didn't NEED this and that. It was close to the time when I knew that HTP and #1 son were going to come back and pick me up. (HTP had gone off to do some genealogy work. He'd rather get a root canal then walk around any mall much less The Mall).

My cell phone rang and it was #1 son. His movie was over and he wanted to know where HTP was. I told him that HTP should be waiting out by the curb of the movie theatre. He was. I toddled over to a bench at the agreed rendevous point(my feet and hips were worn out by this point and I remembered that I haven't been taking my joint supplements because I ran out but The Mall is not the best place to buy that sort of thing) and sat down to read my book. After about 45 minutes, I got another buzz on my cell phone. They were delayed. Rain and sidetracking. I waited another 15 minutes. That's OK. I had my book.

I got another call. They wanted me to meet them at a Mall restaurant, Tucci Benucci for supper. I hobbled over to the restaurant. I was sitting what is referred to as The North Garden and I had to hobble my way over to the West Garden. I checked the map to make sure that it was indeed over at The West Garden because I've made the mistake before where I headed toward the East Garden and then had to walk miles and miles in order to get to where I had to go. My hips and feet were not going to allow me to walk miles and miles. Anyway, I reached the West Garden and the restaurant. HTP and #1 son were waiting for me. We had no problems getting in and the food was wonderful...as usual. Tucci Benucci is one of my favorite restaurants at The Mall. There are a few interesting new restaurants on the third floor but I didn't even suggest them. HTP isn't a Mall enthusiast and I didn't think I could hobble that far.

After supper we headed straight out to the car and returned to The Lake. We stopped to pick up the dogs on our way. It's wonderful that my folks agree to dog sit for us. Of course, I am more then willing to return the favor when they need someone to look after their little one. She's a real sweetie.

I finished up my evening, listening to the internet radio and nodding off to sleep. I didn't blog but what the heck. I'm blogging now and I'll set back the clock so you'd never know. Shhh. Don't tell anyone.

Murphyism of the Day

Fausner's Definition

Housework is what nobody notices unless it's not done.

No comments: