Wednesday, June 21, 2006

Word of the Day

AN-DANTE - A musical tempo that's infernally slow.

It's not my fault. I didn't have anything to do with it this time. We got more rain. HTP assured me that we wouldn't get any rain now for at least a month. I was only thinking about going out and respraying my plants. I didn't actually do it. But still....we got rain.

I picked the first of the lettuce from the garden. I noted that I have a tiny little eggplant on one of the eggplants. My tomato plants are beginning to blossom. I expect that the beans will start blossoming any day now. And then things will get really busy. Berry picking. Jam-making. Canning. My sister and I plan to make some homemade limoncello. The pace of the summer will be picking up, accelerating toward its finale when the garden is finally put to rest and the leaves turn and fall. It often reminds me of some elusive musical composition with all its variations, slow and fast, frantic and peaceful, soft and loud, all surrounding and encircling one central theme.

Murphyism of the Day

Kepler's Law of Ecology

Nature uses as little as possible of anything.

No comments: