Wednesday, June 07, 2006

Word of the Day

FLUTE FLIES - Those tiny mosquitos that bother musicians on outdoor gigs

I had planned to blog earlier but the server was down or something. Oh well...it's back up so now I don't have an excuse not to write.

I checked my crayfish traps and I was shocked (Shocked, I tell you, Shocked!) to see how many of the buggers decided to offer their life up to my next appetizer plate. It must have been all that fresh bait. Or maybe it was just that I opened up the holes a bit to let the bigger guys in. I had to split the boil because they wouldn't all fit into my pot. I'll clean them up tomorrow.

Then, I made some simple syrup so that I could add it to the Dandelion Schnapps and thus make Sweet Dandy Liqueur. Done. I'm not sure if it will be my favorite. However, I'm getting the distinct feeling that the Dandelion Schnapps may make a good substitute for tequila in mixed drink. I'll have to check with my Arizona daughter's hubby. He's the official tequila guy.
The Sweet Dandy Liqueur does have the distinct odor of dandelions. Interesting. I won't what the true flavor will develop into for a few days.

Then off to the woods....

I donned my berry picking outfit/armor and hiked off into the woods, braving mosquitoes, deerfly, and woodticks. I suppose you could add chipmunks, black bear, and whatever other wildlife that was out there but I didn't actually see any of those on this hike. I did manage to pick enough gooseberries to make a batch of gooseberry/rhubarb wine. Hey, Sis! I did it. And I could have picked more but I only really needed six more cups and I was getting a bit tired and my fingers were getting sore. Prickles.

I still need to energize myself enough to make some supper but then it's off to la-la land for me.

Murphyism of the Day

Jones's Law

Experience enables you to recognize a mistake before you make it again.

No comments: