Monday, June 12, 2006

Word of the Day

PLACEBO DOMINGO - A faux tenor.

After breakfast #1 son and I drove over to my sister's place across the lake. I decided that it was time to show #1 son where the watercress grows. Besides, the boy needs someone to show him that there is more to life than computers and a hike in the woods won't kill him. Anyway, the watercress grows in a swampy area on my brother's property where a fresh water spring bubbles and flows. My sister and I did not laugh at #1 son when he asked where the water was coming from. I think he was looking around for a bump of sorts. We did try to explain but he's an Arizona boy. Arizona lakes are man-made. I do admit that it does seem a bit strange that water flows so rapidly and magically from out of the ground and no man created or arranged it. We gathered our watercress and on the hike back we came across a nice patch of wild blueberries. My sister told me that she'd known that they grew there but she'd never seen them produce any berries. I showed her the green berries that were forming and we decided that we'll go back and check on them in July. It looks like I may finally get some blueberries from my tame bushes on blueberry hill but it'll be interesting if these wild blueberries produce enough to be of interest. #1 son marked the spot for us.

My sister and I started a batch of rhubarb wine and another of rhubarb/gooseberry wine. We taste tested the lilac liqueur (I'm really going to have to dilute that stuff...it's strong enough to take your breath away). Both of us decided that we preferred the Sweet Dandy Liqueur and the Viola Liqueur. Oh...and we tasted the BlackBeary Wine that I made last year. I think it needs to age a bit more but it tasted fine. I'm willing to bet that it'll taste a better with a bit more age.

Now...if I could just get #1 son to bring those fish up from the lake, I could arrange for a fish fry for supper tonight. Those fish aren't going to clean themselves. Maybe it's time to teach #1 son the finer points of fish cleaning. Maybe not. There aren't that many and I'd hate to risk it. Maybe next time.

Murphyism of the Day

Sandy's Comment

It makes sense, when you don't think about it.

No comments: