Friday, June 30, 2006

Word of the Day

L'ISTESSO TEMPO - In music, an indication to play listlessly; e.g., as if you don't care.

I'm doing the sprinkler dance again today. It's been warm and the lawn is complaining now that the grass has been mowed.

It's the 4th of July weekend and Friday has already brought the weekenders to The Lake. I expect we'll have nightly firework displays this weekend. It's legal to buy fireworks here in Wisconsin. Of course, it's not really legal to set them off. Go figure the logic of that. However, the sheriff here turns a deaf ear and eye to those who do set them off, unless someone is causing other problems. I expect that the police in The Big Cities aren't so forgiving. My own opinion is that if you want to blow your hand off, that's your business. It only becomes my business if you set my woods on fire while you're fooling around. Why people can get a license to shoot guns which can actually kill someone, and can't buy fireworks is beyond me. You won't see me setting off fireworks in Arizona. That's a no brainer. However more fires are started by some idiot tossing his cigarette out a window then fireworks.

I guess I get a bit tired of the government sticking its nose into every little thing. The Nanny State. You see, when you live in The Nanny State, you don't have to think anymore. Don't worry about taking care of your kids. The Nanny State takes care of that for you. I'm amazed that you can still buy matches at the store. I'm amazed that they haven't demanded that fences be built around all the lakes and rivers. I'm amazed that I actually grew up in a time when having seatbelts in your car was an option and carseats for children? Helmets? Kneepads? It's amazing that we've all lived as long as we have without killing ourselves. Thank goodness we all live in The Nanny State.

Murphyism of the Day

Waldrop's Principle

The person not here is the one working on the problem.

No comments: