Tuesday, April 19, 2005

Habemus Papem!

There's a new Pope. I'm not Catholic. I don't have to be Catholic to appreciate world-shaping news. This news is far bigger then anything that I could blog. White smoke billowed from the smoke-stack affixed atop the Sistine Chapel. A decision was made far sooner then I expected. The crowds in St. Peter's Square erupted in cheers. People could be seen running from all directions to join those who already waited to meet the new Pope. Everyone waited to hear the bells that were supposed to ring as the white smoke rose. And then the bells rang and it was moving to hear the cries of joy and see the looks in the eyes of the people as the camera's scanned the crowds. And then we were introduced to the new Pope. Pope Benedict XVI. I may not be Catholic but I am Christian and I do pray that God's hand guides the new leader of the Catholic Church in this modern world with all it's demands.

I'll blog again tomorrow. If you don't have a chance to read a new Word of the Day, or Murphyism or know that I'm down to seven days and a wake up before I return to Wisconsin, I think we'll all survive. Today seems like a good day to just acknowledge the birth of a new Pope.

No comments: