Monday, April 25, 2005

One Day and a Wake Up Before We Leave For Wisconsin

Word of the Day

Ailuromancy: A system of divination that attempts to foretell the future from what appears on your screen after the cat walks across the keyboard.

I'm packing already. I've got two boxes almost filled. I'll finish up the rest of it tomorrow while I do laundry. Though I almost forgot, I'll be taking the dogs into the vet for their shots tomorrow. I can't get Wisconsin dog tags for the dogs without vet papers...current shots, etc. I might even get into trouble transporting them across state borders without the vet paperwork. I was able to make an appointment at 5 PM tomorrow. That's cutting it a bit close.

I'm going to go shopping again today. HTP has the car right now but when he gets back I need to go exchange this bride's maid's dress that I bought yesterday. The zipper was broken when we bought it but I just noticed. If they can't exchange it on the spot because they don't have it in the right size, I'll return it and order the dress online. It isn't as if it was on sale, so they shouldn't give me any grief. I also need to see if I can pick up another stole. I was only able to find two...I need three. I'll worry about buying my own dress for the wedding later. I may just wear the same dress I wore for my other daughter's wedding.

I hear the weather has gotten a lot cooler in Wisconsin. Rumors of snow were heard. I guess I'll be packing some winter-type clothes for traveling. I'll pack the shorts to but I doubt I'll have a chance to wear those now for a while.

Murphyism of the Day

Spark's Ten Rules for Project Management

1. Strive to look tremendously important.

2. Attempt to be seen with important people.

3. Speak with authority; however, only expound on the obvious and proven facts.

4. Don't engage in arguments, but if cornered, ask an irrelevant question and lean back with a satisfied grin while your opponent tries to figure out what's going on--then quickly change the subject.

5. Listen intently while others are arguing the problem. Pounce on a trite statement and bury them with it.

6. If a subordinate asks you a pertinent question, look at him as if he has lost his mind. When he looks down, paraphrase the question back at him.

7. Obtain a brilliant assignment, but keep out of sight and out of the limelight.

8. Walk at a fast pace when out of the office--this keeps questions from subordinates and superiors at a minimum.

9. Always keep the office door closed. This puts visitors on the defensive and also makes it look like you are always in an important conference.

10. Give all orders verbally. Never write anything down that might go into a "Pearl Harbor File".

No comments: