Monday, July 25, 2005

Word of the Day

Dawdlegag : To move amazingly slowly. A combined form of dawdle and lollygag.

I had planned to spend the day dancing with sprinklers. Actually, I am dancing with sprinklers but I also picked the beans and some other produce from the garden. I helped HTP with his "clearing the driveway of overgrown vegetation" project. Some of our sumac decided that it wanted to play with our car so out came the saws and clippers. No...we didn't get rid of ALL the sumac, it just feels that way. HTP bundled all the clippings (filled the entire back of the SUV) and hauled them off to the logging road and into the woods. I finished the work by sweeping the driveway off. All the remaining bits are now in my compost heap.

My sister called yesterday. A huge tree fell in her yard over the weekend. Nothing like coming home to a disaster like that. Thankfully, it seems that the tree was kind enough to miss hitting anything of value but unlike here at The Lake, it's not such a simple matter to cut up and remove a tree. You can't just cut it up and let it stay there by the side of the driveway. People in the city frown on that sort of thing.

Anyway, last summer a tree fell on my folks' dock and boat. This year a tree fell in my sister's front yard making a mess. And before that there were those trees that fell over the gate by their road and the power lines to their cabins. I wonder when it's going to be our turn. Odds are that we'll be next. Of course, maybe it'll be my brother's turn next but I think he got hit first. If I'm not mistaken, a tree fell on his cabin the year before that tree fell on my folks' dock.

Oh well...at least we got rid of the sumac and I'm told that all those tall trees in the woods by our house will fall away from anything of value.

Murphyism of the Day

Vile's Law of Value

The more an item costs, the farther you have to send it for repairs.

No comments: