Thursday, July 21, 2005

Word of the Day

Orange Crate: A multipurpose storage unit often used in student apartments.

It seems that I am destined to be late in blogging these days. We've got company coming tomorrow. Though they are sleeping at my house, they will be eating over at my sister's house. My sister and I have been planning the meals for the next couple of days. Today, HTP and I went grocery shopping. After studying the menu (yes, sis, I did finally print it out), I portioned out the things that I would have to make today yet. I'm still working on my today list.

I started a batch of bread dough for the first batch of sandwich rolls. While that was being taken care of in my bread machine, I went out to the garden and pulled some green onions. After cleaning the onions, I made a batch of salsa and it is now flavor-melding in the fridge. Next? The cucumber salad. I peeled an onion (no green onion for this), dragged out my finger guillotine, peeled four nice cucumbers, and proceeded to thinly slice the cucumbers and onions into a bowl with salt. Yeah! I didn't cut any fingers off! The cucumbers are busy sweating. I finish up the salad tomorrow. I mixed up two recipes of pie crust. Enough for four pies. I hope my sister found enough rhubarb for me to make two pies. I have enough blueberries for the pies I'll be baking tomorrow morning. The pie crust dough has to sit in the fridge overnight.

The first batch of bread dough is done. I made twelve sandwich rolls and they are rising in the oven. I've got another batch of bread dough started. I need twenty-four sandwich rolls. As soon as the rolls are baked, I'm calling it quits for the night. I'll work on the tomorrow list tomorrow.

Murphyism of the Day

Old Grey's Commentary on Party Menu Planning

If you cook plenty of food for a party, you will end up with more leftovers then will ever fit in your refrigerator because everyone is suddenly on a diet.

If you cook more then enough food for a party, with the idea of providing leftovers for the week to come for you and your family, your guests will not only eat everything you cook, they'll send out for pizza.

No comments: