Wednesday, July 27, 2005

Word of the Day

De-dirtify - Cleaning.

It's been a beautiful day. What can I say? The sky was blue. The temperature was moderate to cool. The humidity wasn't unbearable. I mean...there are days when a person risks drowning and all you have to do is go outside and breath. Today wasn't one of those days.

The paving contractors finally came and started on their part of our driveway. They had a nice day for it. They still need to put down the actual blacktop material. I'll have to close all the windows and hope the smell won't seep into the house. Tomorrow won't be as nice and I fear that it may rain. Let's hope it doesn't delay things. Again. Anyway, to reiterate a previous blog, we're having the last 400 feet of our driveway, closest to the house, blacktopped. HTP and I had to park our two cars in a cleared part of the old logging road because we won't be able to drive on the new blacktop for three days, starting tomorrow if the work actually gets done. We figured that we'd better move the cars if we actually want or have to use them. I hope it doesn't hail. I hope a tree doesn't fall on the cars as they sit unprotected on the old logging road I hope they don't sink into the muck and mire. I imagine that three days include three nights. Oh well...#1 son is going to have to hike out to the old logging road tomorrow so he can retrieve one of the cars when he has to go to work. He'll have to hike back in the dark after work. Note to self: Tell #1 son to bring a flashlight. In the meantime, HTP and I made good use of our time and we went grocery shopping today. I didn't like the thought of having to haul groceries down to the house from the old logging road. I'm sure it would have been wonderful exercise but the deerfly would have driven HTP and me mad. They do that anyway but hell is walking down a road with your arms fully laden and unable to flail at the deerfly as they buzz around your head, looking for a likely landing spot. I imagine one would have the same feeling while staked out by an ant-hill, drizzled in honey.

Today was Wing-Ding Wednesday. I feel so honorable and self-righteous because we didn't partake in the event. I made steaks on the grill tonight, thus saving our bodies from countless wing-ding calories and guilt. OK. They were cheap steaks. Beef is expensive here in Wisconsin for some reason. They were sirloin. Not the best cut of sirloin but tasty, nonetheless. I served the steaks with a homegrown salad. Lettuce, onions, tomatoes and cucumbers. All picked from my garden. Ouch! I think I hurt myself. Gotta watch it when you pat yourself on the back.

Murphyism of the Day

Glaser's Law

If it says "one size fits all," it doesn't fit anyone.

No comments: