Sunday, July 31, 2005

Word of the Day

Deafinition - A perceived meaning of a word, without regard for its true meaning.

HTP and I are going to spend the day in The Big City. Because we are going to The Big City and because we're going to a nice restaurant with family, a certain amount of effort must be exercised. That's the rule. You can't go into The Big City looking like you just spend months at The Lake. When I was growing up, we would arrive at The Lake, remove our City clothes to the closet, thus preserving their integrity for the return voyage to The City, and we'd put on our Lake clothes. The Big City clothes wouldn't be used again until we returned to The Big City.

So, I actually put nail polish on. My berry-stained nails are now covered by a slick layer of nail polish. I'm not fond of the color but I don't keep a huge selection of nail colors here at The Lake. My other color, pale pink wouldn't have hidden the "problem". I filed the nicks in my nails but no amount of filing could remove the berry stains.

I'm dressed in a real dress because when I asked my Mother-in-law what kind of restaurant we were going to, she said it was fancy. Believe me, if she says it's fancy, I can't wear pants and jeans were never in my mind because it's a hot and humid day and jeans are Lake clothes...though I have been known to wear them in The Big City if they don't have bug or fish "juice" on them or paint splatters or berry stains.

I also had to wash my hair. To most of you this is no big deal but for me with my long hair, especially here in the humid environments of The Lake, hairwashing takes a bit of planning. If we are to leave here to go to The Big City at 9 AM, I needed to wash my hair at 6 AM. Actually, this isn't too big a deal since I'm up and about by that time every morning anyway. I'm just glad we don't have to leave for The Big City at 6 AM. I'm not fond of getting up at 3 AM so I can wash my hair. Some would ask at this point, "Why don't you wash your hair in the evening before you go to bed?" Hah! Have you ever gotten up in the morning with a terminal case of bed head? I have but only on the mornings after I decided to wash my hair the night before. And then what? You have to wash your hair again.

As I said, HTP and I are going to drive to The Big City today. We're meeting HTP's folks and his brother and sister and family. Birthday celebrations for August. I'm not sure when we'll be back to The Lake. Sometime tonight. #1 son has decided to remain back here to take care of the dogs for us since he had other plans for the day. He's older now and HTP pointed out to me that family gatherings like this, especially for a young person like #1 son, aren't all that much fun. In another month, he'll be back at college, hitting the books. On the few days off he has from his summer slave labor job, he'd rather sleep, eat and spend mindless hours in front of a computer screen in the basement.

Murphyism of the Day

Gold's Law

If the shoe fits, it's ugly.

No comments: