Friday, May 13, 2005

Word of the Day

Badcter - The nectar of an enraged badger used as a common ointment; a person who cannot act.

It's Friday the 13th and My Car Didn't Blow Up...Neither has anything bad happened...yet.

We had to drive into the city today to get a part replaced on our Gator. We had received notice that our poor car could at any time burst into flames while sitting unsuspectingly parked in our garage. This inferno would have been caused by a faulty cruise control switch. We read about this problem on the internet months before we received actual notice of this problem from the manufacturer of our car. We received the official notice a month before we were planning on our trip back to Wisconsin. Since we were also notified that there was a shortage of parts to fix the problem and that all they wanted to do in the meantime was unplug our cruise control, we decided to risk spontaneous combustion until we knew that we could get the part replaced. HTP and I couldn't imagine driving 2000 miles without a cruise control. Anyway, it's safe to come visit us now. The part has been replaced and our car shouldn't burst into flames while sitting in the garage. Of course, it didn't do that before they replaced the part but we've been assured that it definitely won't do it now.

While we were in the city, HTP and I went shopping for groceries. What with the price of gas and the distance to the nearest city with a variety of choices when it comes to groceries, we try to stop and shop whenever we happen to be in the city. My grocery shopping has to be done with a great deal of planning here in Wisconsin. I try to make sure that I have at least a couple of weeks of "perishables" (veggies, meat, bread, eggs, and dairy) at any given time. It's not like I can run to the store on a daily basis if I run out of something. Of course, it looks like #1 son plans to get a job in the city for the summer. I may just take advantage of the poor boy and make him stop and shop for me after work before he returns home.

I also bought a couple of pine trees to plant in our yard. I decided to start planting a pine tree every year instead of buying windchimes. I noticed the other day when the wind was really blowing, the noise from my windchimes was driving me a bit insane. The original plan was to buy a windchime every summer but I'm not sure I can tolerate the racket anymore. Pine trees are a lot quieter. Since we have 140 acres in which to plant pine trees, I don't think I'll have a problem finding planting spots. I bought two this year. One for this year and another for last year when I thought of the idea.

Murphyism of the Day

Washlesky's Law

Anything is easier to take apart than to put together.

No comments: