Sunday, May 15, 2005

Word of the Day

Bafflegab - Meaningless talk, often meant to impress the ignorant or conceal the truth.

It just dawned on me that I haven't blogged today. I've been re-reading a book. I thought I'd take a break so that I don't devour it in one sitting. If I finish reading it too quickly, I have no idea what I'll do with myself. Probably pick out another book to re-read from my bookshelf. Sigh. There really isn't too much to do right now. It's too wet to go hiking anywhere but up the road...and even there it's a bit muddy. I don't think it's going to start raining again but I refuse to take a walk and carry an umbrella. Imagine me fighting off a mad black bear sow with cubs in tow with a flimsy umbrella. I don't think so. Of course, I'm not too worried about running into a black bear sow but I do worry that if I do, someone might write that I tried to do something stupid like that. It almost as embarrassing as having someone report that you drowned while trying to unstick your toe from the bathtub faucet because who would actually call 911 about something like that. Not me. I'd rather drown.

Should anyone think me lazy, I did get outside today. I ripped 50 weeds out of my gardens despite the muck and mire and I planted some marigold seeds. I noted that some of the marigold seeds from my last year plants have started to sprout in my garden...willy-nilly. Volunteers. I decided to plant some where I actually want them so I don't feel bad if HTP kills the volunteers by accident in his zeal to rake leaves and kill weeds. Anyway, with 50 weeds less to pull, it doesn't look like I made a dent in the weed population. If it was warmer, I'd hit the weeds with weedkiller but it has to be at least 60°F for the stuff to work. I don't know what affect it would have on the weeds if it's only 40°F. Probably none. I won't risk that it would have a fertilizing affect. Plus, right now, I can't tell what plants are weeds and what plants are plants. Of course, as my Grandmother used to say, "If it isn't growing where it's supposed to grow, it's a weed." She was a better gardener then me. I tend to be too soft-hearted when it comes to volunteers from the plant world. Besides that? I'm lazy.

Murphyism of the Day

Osborn's Law

Variables won't; constants aren't.

No comments: