Thursday, May 26, 2005

Word of the Day

Batress - A recent university arts graduate (B.A.) who has turned to waitressing as a profession due to a lack of job opportunities in her field.

It's #1 son's birthday today! HAPPY BIRTHDAY #1 SON!!!!! Happy Birthday to you! Happy Birthday to you! Happy Birthday Dear #1 Son! Happy Birthday to you! I'm making a birthday cake. It's in the oven right now. The gift is wrapped. Sigh. He already knows what he's getting but for we must observe the gift-wrapping ritual. It's gotten to the point where I seldom actually buy a surprise gift for my children. Either I have to consult with them or write them a check so they can get their own gift. The minute I think up a neato gift, I find out that they already own that neato item because they purchased it for themselves. Or...they hate the neato gift and they love me too much to tell me. So...#1 son knows what he's getting. HTP and #1 son discussed its various specifications at length, they've studied all the details that were provided on the internet, then we all walked into the store and they touched it, felt it, examined it, and then we purchased it after politely chasing away two sales people who were getting in the way. When we got home, I dug out the wrapping paper and wrapped it.

It's my parents' wedding anniversary today! HAPPY ANNIVERSARY! I don't think there's an actual song for this so I'll spare you. I've invited my folks over to join us today. After all, if it weren't for them there would be no me and there would be no #1 son. Actually, I don't have to have an excuse to invite my folks over for supper. It's just nice to have them come over any day. We're going to celebrate their anniversary over at my sister's place on Saturday. #1 son and I are going to make a cake. We'll sing Happy Birthday to #1 son then too. But...there's something special about actually celebrating the very day of your anniversary and the very day of your birthday.

It was supposed to rain today. So far, the sky is (dare I say it) a beautiful crystalline blue. Not a cloud in sight. I'm hoping that it'll stay that way. I can hear the oriole singing out by the lake. I'm beginning to wonder why I put out that stupid bird-feeder. I never notice how loud and obnoxious an oriole sounds. Well...maybe I'm painting all orioles with the same brush. I'm sure he's just doing his best.

Murphyism of the Day

Grossman's Lemma

Any task worth doing was worth doing yesterday.

No comments: